Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SolidWorks 2008 - Welcome Links Issue

Alto

Hi All

I am having a little problem concerning SolidWorks and Limited Users at my school.

I have installed SW2008 SP2.1 and upgraded it to SP4.0 and can happily use it as an (Windows) Administrator or a Domain_Admin account. However I am experiencing issues when trying to use SolidWorks as a User (or Limited) account:

- Upon starting SolidWorks as a standard user, there are the Welcome hyperlinks on the right-side of the screen. I note that there is not a link to the "EDU" web-site,and the tutorial linksCreate/Design "First Part" and "First Drawing" were not there. Also, the links "Open" and "New" Document do not work.
- After opening a New Document (via the top menu bars), the quicktips "What Do You Want To Do" pop-up appears. However, clicking any of the three links results in an ActiveX script error.

Can anybody assist me with this combined issue? I was wondering whether there are file/folder permissions within Windows or if there is anything else wrong with my install.

Ps. I have a zipped file from the SolidWorks diagnostics (containing the video snapshot of the issue) which I had sent off to my distributor for trouble-shooting. I have not had a reply from them, but I am happy to forward this (<300kb) attachment to those who are interested.

--Thanks in advance!
Alto

Alto,

Did your problem exist when you were running on sp2.1? or did it start after the upgrade>? if after the upgrade, then repair your install or re install.

The issue sounds like permission issues within your directory structure. SW requires full rights to the directory structure for both install and operations. Review your directory permissions.

Good luck...
smiley32.gif

Thanks for the info. My problem had originally originated upon initial install of SP2.1. It was still there when upgraded to SP4.0 and is still here now that I have upgraded to SP5.0.

I have resorted to changing permissions (Everyone -> Full Control) on the install directories (including the SolidWorks folder within the Windows directory) and on the registry (HKLM ... software -> Solidworks), but this has not resolved my problem.

Note that my "Tip of the Day" on the bottom-right of the main (intro) screen says "Undefined" on a limited account too.

I thought whether the ActiveX script errors were/are(?) to to with Internet Explorer settings, as when the PC is on the domain (and logged in as a standard domain user) there are Group Policies to change a number of IE settings. However my problem still exists when a (limited) user logs onto this PC with a local account.

In summary; problems using limited accounts (locally or domain user), no problems using administrator accounts or a domain_admin account. Can't remember as a "power user". However, once I have ghost-cloned this PC to those within a computer suite, I would definitely not allow other teachers and students to have anything above "user/domain user" privileges.

-- Thanks
Alto

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back