Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to draw machned part in stages

inflsys

I'm new to SW and trying to figure out the best practice for creating drawings of a machined part in various stages of completeness. When manufacturing or buying the blank part, I need a drawing that doesn't include any additional manufacturing operations. I figure that I can create several parts, for example: one blank piece, one with a milling operation complete, and one with tapped holes, where each subsequent part builds off of the prior. Then I would create a drawing for each part.

I feel that there must be a neater way to do this Solidworks. I would rather create the completed part and then create a set of drawings where certain features are excluded from each drawing. For example, the holes would not be included in one of the drawings.

So what's the best practice here? Is it best to have multiple parts for each manufacturing operation or is there a way to have multiple drawings built off of the same part model.
Edited by: inflsys

The best practice is what you think.

In this moment, MYbest practice is to define multiples part's configurations. After that I use a single drawing with multiple sheets. Each sheet contain the drawing for onlyone configuration.

Rarely, for simple parts whereI make small changes in time and ONLY for dimensions,I use a single sheet. I "push", in Drawing View Properties, under "Configuration information", the radio button for "Use model IN-USE or last saved configuration.

Hope this is a help for you.

Good luck !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back