Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Ordinate dimensions in a detail view

rrleclair

How the %&*@ do I make ordinate dimensions in a detail view that doesn't show my origin?? I previously used Pro/E and it was simple... I can't figure it out with Solidworks
smiley19.gif
I've done google searches and can't seem to find an answer... help!

thanks

Rick

ok so I found a really stupid way around it... edit the sketch of your detail view to include your origin. Add the ordinate dimensions in the detail view, then edit the sketch for the detail view again back to what u need, and the ordinate dims stay in tact. You'll have to "hide" the 0,0 ordinate dims tho... what a crappy soultion. It will work for now I guess..

rr,

When you create the detail view, first extend the sketch to extend around the orgin. Goto your view, place your ord dim at 0 and at a location within the final area. Go back to the detail view sketch and resize it down to the desired size. Go back to the detail view and add to ordinate. Hide the origin ord.

This may be crappy, but technically using ord in this way is not fully supported by ASME "coordinate dimensions". One can intrepret this method to be equal to foreshortened dimensioning, but the method for this is not stated in the standard.
Edited by: fcsuper

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back