Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating an inclined pyramid

cwlemon

Hi,
I'm a novice SW user and I'm trying to make a simple model of an inclined pyramid with a diamond shaped base
I managed to make a 3d sketch of the model but I can't make SW build it.
I'm using SW2007. Can anyone help?

here's a sketch I made in paintbrush of the part I'm trying to make (sorry, I don't have SW on this computer):
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7082/pyramidjn7.jpg

Thanks in advance,
cwlemon

Draw a sketch in TOP PLANE (for "bottom view"). Exit from this sketch. In the tree manager right click the sketch and select SHOW.

Begein a new sketch in the RIGHT PLANE (ora 3D sketch as well). Sketch a single line. Tis line will be the direction of the extrusion for your piramid.

Exit sketch and make it visible.

Select the first sketch (in the tree manager) and click EXTRUDE BOSS.

In the FEATURE PROPERTIES pane, under "Direction 1" clickin the box named "Direction of extrusion" then select the line (sketch 2). Activate "Draft" option and set the angle.

That's all (I think). You must play with angles and/or directions until you obtain what you want.

Good luck !

Mihail

Thanks alot, Mihail
Only one more question - Is there any way I can choose the exact height of the pyramid that way, other than calculating the exact desired draft angle?

cwlemon

Try that:

In View menu be sure you have PLANES selected (is necesary to see what you are doing). Now, select the plane where live the pyramide base. (Ifsteel don't see this plane, go to feature manager, right click this plane and select SHOW from the pull down menu.)Press CTRL and drag this plane. You obtain a new plane, parallel with the first one, and, in the feature manager, you can see the distance between the planes. Write hearethe desired distance (the high of your pyramide). After that edit the pyramidefeature EXTRUDE BOSS and set as end point for this feature the new plane.

Note: You must have the new plane, in the feature manager, BEFORE the EXTRUDE BOSS feature. If it is not, drag it !

I do not try that. But I think is good way (or idea). I try to find a better way tomorrow if you need more help.

Good luck !

Mihail

Good enough for me.
Many thanks, Mihail

smiley32.gif

cwlemon

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back