Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why PDF ?

Mihail

I recive many CAD drawings(like .dwg), from the customers,in .PDF format. In many cases this files have poor quality. With this files I have a couple of troubles:I can't read the informations like dimensions from this files; In other cases some dimensions are missing; and so on...

Please ! Send to me your opinions. I like to use your opinions in any cases: When I talk to my customers ORwhen I talk to my boss OR to learn from you a way to avoid this troubles.

WHY somebodies prefearto send me PDF formats and not CAD formats for drawings ?

One more question: Can I find a good software to translate a PDF file in a CAD format for drawings ?

Thank you a lot !

Mihail

Hi Mihail.

As you probably know, PDF (originally from Adobe) is the defacto standard in file exchange. The most basic form of Adobe Acrobat is the PDF Writer or even Distiller. Quite simply, it is a printer driver. If done properly, the PDF files are just as clear and east to read as the original file (except that PDF files are RASTER IMAGES as opposed to cad's VECTOR IMAGE format) and in MOST cases, the files are considerably SMALLER than the original format.

Further, there is the security issue. If a customer receives a native CAD format, he is more likely to make changes that you may not be aware of that COULD be detrimental to the original design. Who would be held responsible should something go wrong with the final product.

Now then, if it was agreed up front that you would be collaborating with the customer, and the both of you were making revisions to the design, then yes, of course he would need the native format. But if I'M supplying the design in it's entirety, then the customer only gets a PDF file, until that is when I'm paid IN FULL for the job, at which point, I'm no longer concerned what he does with it. I always keep a copy (both hard and soft) for my records as well as a "back-up" for the customer.

Joe L

Joe is right.

A CAD drawing in the native format should still be provided though if you are working to recreate the information electronically to take measurements and such.

However, PDF is now 3D and allows measurements within the file on the model itself, so maybe PDF is ok even for this.

There are many pdf to dwg/dxf converter. You can try different programs to see which works for you better. Try this one pdf2dxf :)

Thank you Hristov. I try this program before, but do not work properly. For exemple, an ARC is translated as many SPLINEs. So... is impossible to make mesearuments (Radius or Diameter). Of course, in this caseI can use 3 points from the DWG to drawthe cyrcle. But I like to avoid this work. Thank you again.

Other programs ?

Mihail

no body is given cad format because any one can copy the design r update the design r some times u can also changes the design that is the reason.

i think no software is available to convert the pdf format to autocad format

I suspect, since you stated that it is poor quality, that your customer is scanning a paper drawing to PDF which definately reduces the quality, especially if he is using a low resolution scan setting.

Printing to PDF or saving as PDF (depending on your program) is the best an ensures the highest level of resolution AND allows for selecting text like you would a regular document. This is because it recognizes text as text, not just a group of black pixels that a scanner sees.

My favorite, if you do not have Acrobat or Distiller is PDF995 from the Software995 folks. Have your customer try it out.

Thank you all. I think I understand the idea

Yes, MSEELING. Is true. The PDF files looks sometimes as you say. I use Acrobat wich include the Distiller. Thank you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back