Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

changing axis

faceless

Is there a way to asign a different direction to the origin. Would I be able to translate to a new axis without destroying my model?

Hi faceless - Yes, both the transformations you mention are on offer.

First, there is an equivalent to asigning a different direction to the origin: rotating the entire model around an axis can give the same result. This is found in Insert > Features > Move/Copy Body. In SW2008 this feature then offers 'Translate' and 'Rotate' after the body is chosen.

Second, you can rotate to a new axis (I'm assuming you meant rotate not translate) with that same tool, and if you want to translate you can do that too.

Note that while bodies can be translated and rotated, and a new element is added to the feature tree, the actual background sketches from which the model was made remain in their original sketch planes. Also the standard views will continue to orientate the model as before.

If you know before starting to model that you want everything to be in a different orientation to the standard - for example if you want the Z axis to be ina vertical plane so that a Top view will look down on Z (the standard for CAM) then you can set up an empty part with a series of views already made and use that when required. For example, I have a part called "Empty CAM Part.sldpart" which has the three main views renamed and a set of CAM views set up in the views orientation window - e.g. CAM Front, CAM Top, CAM Left, CAM Back, CAM Right, CAM Bottom, and CAM Iso. I open this and then save it with a new name for designing new parts to be exported directly to my CAM software without any translation or rotation.

hope this helps, Regards, Chris Booth

How can i rotate the standard view in the drawing without affecting the model orientation? i replied to this topic inadvertently. I couldn't able to delete this topic. so neglect this one and see the new topic in the drawing....
Edited by: Asho Pulsar

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back