Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Configurations in drawing: views/BOMs

dzezelj

Hello to everyone. I've some doubts about making drawings of configs in SW and hope to hear some words from others.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Suppose you have assembly with two configs. You create two views based on the 1st config: front view and right view, where the right view is projection of the front.

Now, if you set second config for the front view right view will remain unchanged, still referring the 1st config.

I tried to make sense of this but without success. Further more, views are still aligned, so if you turn front view to right, right view will turnto back, potentially showing two different things.

Regarding BOM, I found that table does not change as you change configuration of the drawing but rather follows configuration set in the table property itself. I haven't find any option that enforces view to drive the table. Nevertheless, when you are inserting BOM you are asked to point the view with the model for BOM creation.

I have to say that I

Hi
Drawing views for different configs - right click on view - properties and change the configuration

BOM take the conf of the selected view. If you change the config in view the BOM does not update automatically, you must change the config in BOM.

Nucu

Thank you Nucu.

I know how to change config in the view. But, isn't that strange that you may have two different configs in front and side view while claiming that side view is the projection of the front?

Don't you think that it would be useful to have option for exact linking BOM to view?

Hi

I never had that situation that one view display a config. and the projected view display another. You are sure that the second view is inserted like projected view or is inserted like standalone view (right).
About BOM. Yes, because you may have 2 BOMs or you can have on a single drawing many assemblies or any other situation like this.

Nucu

Hi Nucu.

Yes, I'm quite shore. Make brick with two configs, create drawing with front and right view, change config for front and see what you get. It simply doesn't make sense.

Dado

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back