Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flexible Model

SmittyMcSmith

I have searched high and
low and cannot find an answer to this.

Is it possible to model a
flexible item in SolidWorks? ie. a flex circuit board, or a rope.
Establish the constraints on either end and allow the middle to slack?

Hello SmittyMcSmith,

Inever heard that this was possibletoo but. and exept for the flex function wich is not realtimeflexible i dont know any other way then the folowing.You could try to make some sort of chain like your average watchwristband, or lakt the tracks tanks drive on.Only then really small.

If you want more freedom instead of a cilinder connecting the chain, you could also try it with a dome or ball.

Ihope you understand whatI mean or somebody else can help you further along.

yours solidly,

Norman van Norden

You can make a subassembly flexible: Right click on the feature manager tree > component properties > click the flexible radio button under Solve as.

You still can't make flexible parts for SWX 2007; can anyone comment on 2008?

Hello SSLaser,

I use SW2008 but no signs yet of realtime flexability in a single part.

What do you mean by SWX 2007 I mean the ''X''.
Edited by: normanvannorden

I think SSLaser means "works" for the "WX"...

I think much better names are "neverworks" and "solidwaste"

anyone know if you can make a flexible part in 09?

09 has the flex feature on the property manager.. not had to use it yet.. but it's there and gives you bend twist taper and stretch..
Edited by: KMSProjects

As of this release (ver 9) you cannot make make "flexible" parts such as ropes or hoses, those that swing freely with the forces of gravity or wind. Things that follow a defined path, such as a bicycle chain (without variable slack) can be modeled (and animated) but you better have a powerful computer to handle it.

The term "Flexible" in Solidworks case, means "moveable". For example, you can have hinges that open and close, pulleys that rotate, cam followers that follow the cam, etc. All of these and more, can also be constrained in such a way as to limit the amount of movement that they have.

Joe L
Edited by: joelewinski

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back