Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reference points

cityjack

How do you put a reference point into a model please? I want to create a point at the center of an arc. I do NOT want to do this in the sketcher. Thank you.

Try Insert>Ref Geom>Point. Select your arc and it should default to the center. If not, select the Arch Center button. This is done outside of Sketch.

Thank you for the reply. I was trying to put a ref. geom. pt. in the asm while editing a part and it would not let me. I had to go to the part itself then it worked. Here is another question please. If I have a tube and I want to put a point at the center of the tube but in the middle of the tube length wise. How is it I do this. I have tried putting a plane in somewhere in the middle of the tube and sketching a circle so I would have an arc center, don't work. I tried putting an axis thru middle of tube intersecting with plane, point still doesn't work. Isn't there an offset point or offset from cyc like in Pro/E? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Draw a construction line between the centers of the tubecircles. The midle point of this line is what you are looking for.

Or, draw 2 or morelines. End point of the first line is the start point for the second line and so on. Make this lines COLINIAR and EQUAL. Make start point of the first line COINCIDENT with the center of thefirst tubecyrcle and the end point of the last line COINCIDENT with the second tube cyrcle. In this way you can divide the length of your tube in more than 2 EQUAL parts.

Hope you unterstand the idea. Good luck !

It seems that adding points as a reference is a bit limited. You should just be able to pick any combination of features whose intersection creates a point, i.e. a line and plane, three planes, etc. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back