Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

beginner 3D sketch problem

426Rider

Just learning and my tutorial shows using the rectangle tool in 3D sketch. As soon as I select 3D sketch the rectangle gets grayed out. I also can't select a line and get the line properties window to pop up. It's version 2005. Was it not available then or should I reload the software?

Thanks for any help. I've wasted 4 or 5 hours on this...

You can sketch the Rectangle using 4 lines.

Oruse the 3D Sketch on Plane option which I know 2006 has available on the Right Click menu. This allows you to use 2D sketch relations and functionality. But I'm not sure if the Rectangle Tool is available but give it a shot.

For Properties check if the Property Manager is availabe from the Feat/Prop/Config Manager hit the (F9)key if not displayed.

Michael

Thanks. I think my tutorial covers several versions newer than what I'm using and that caused the confusion. I tried everything, including reloading the software before I guessed that was the case.

I am on 04 and there is no way to use the actual rectangle in 3d sketch it is greyed out, you can sketch on a plane and make all the corners coincident to the plane this lets you add in the relations to make a real rectangle.
Best of luck to you.

IF you can create a plane where you need it then you can sketch normal rectangle, but if it has to bend or twist good luck!

You can also sketch a rectangle and use the split line feature to project the recatngle onto a curved surface....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back