Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketch lines auto-changing on me!

corndog

I'm a total newb when it comes to SW 07. I'm editing a simple triangle in sketch mode with sides of 100.68", 147.5" and 72". The program won't let me build this simple shape. It always changes one of the other dimensions all by itself. Is it because of the angles involved? All I'm asking for is some even numbers here, or are the laws of physics conspiring against me???

Edited by: corndog

Hello,

If you draw the sketch Click Smart Dimension
Tool_Smart_Dimensions_Relations.gif
on the Dimensions/Relations toolbar, or click Tools, Dimensions, Smart. The default dimension type is Parallel. Now you can add dimensions to your sketch.

To learn more please look at the Solidworks Tutorial from the Help menu

With regards

Joop Sleumer said:
Hello,

If you draw the sketch Click Smart Dimension
Tool_Smart_Dimensions_Relations.gif
on the Dimensions/Relations toolbar, or click Tools, Dimensions, Smart. The default dimension type is Parallel. Now you can add dimensions to your sketch.

To learn more please look at the Solidworks Tutorial from the Help menu

With regards
Thanks for the suggestion, butline parameters (length) will not stay where I put them, on all three sides at once (in this case 72.00347719)
smiley19.gif

top%20aft%20rev2.jpg

Edited by: corndog

have you tried drawing the triangle in a part then just opening it up in a drawing instead!! use the smart dimesions and just make sure the bas e is defined!!

beacause on your above drawing the triangle doesnt come off the origin so its not going to define because theres no recognised starting place!
Edited by: Dawwen1

Hello,

Looking at the picture you already have a extrude. At this moment i don't understand you'r problem so lets begin from the start:

- choose New from the file menu

- Choose part from the new solidworksdocument

- select a frontplane (for example)in the feature manager tree

- insert sketch

- draw your triangle. When you draw a line you can see the length of the line while youre moving your mouse. Don't try to get the dimension correct just near the value you want

- insert dimensions with smartdimensions. If you insert the dimension you can edit it by dubbleclicking the dimensions.

- If you have the dimensions on the three lines you can move the triangle by dragging it. The shape of the triangle must be the same.

- After you set your dimensions make your extrude.

I hope you will manage now.

With regards

If your triangle is real (A+B > C) try that: Open SYSTEM OPTIONS (TOOLS -> OPTIONS...) click SKETCH - Relations/Snaps andUNcheck AUTOMATIC RELATIONS.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back