Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

complicated sketch

newbie123

Howdy all and thanks for all replies.

I'm pretty new to Solidworks and am finding it a lot more complicated than a competing product...anyway, i'm trying to do a sketch that will be the path for a sweep. Basically, if you took your regular old 20" piece of copper wire and crumpled it up in a ball, that is basically what I'm trying to draw. It doesn't actually have that many curves and arcs, but a few on many planes, so I'm just not sure how to go about this...

I've drawn several planes and sketched the flat parts on them. Different sketches, I assume obviously. Where they intersect, the program won't fillet to any size.

Can someone just throw out a few keywords of things I can research and play with in the tutorials / help stuff? Someone here at work suggested that I draw major flat areas on planes, then use "insert / curve". I'm looking into that now...any other strategies out there? All suggestions will help, as I am new and need to learn all of what anyone has to say.

Thanks!

Mickey

For complicated sketches like that, I would sometimes extrude a surface imagining it as a projection from that view. Then I would extrude another surface at 90degrees to the 1st one, again imagining the projection from this view. You can then get a 3D curve which is where the planes intersect.

Another way to do it is use a 3D sketch though I never like using that feature tool.

Hope that helps a bit

Michael

Hi Michael. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not finding much success with 3-D sketch. It seems to simply be a compilation of 2-D sketches, which doesn't help me create curves that pass through infinite points on all axises.

I thought of the extrude too this morning...thanks...I'll give it a try. I'm figuring that I'll have to extrude out curved parts of the drawing with four flat sides, then fillet the sides to make all four surfaces one round part....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back