Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Various graphics problems - help needed!

ThinkDesign

First of all, hi to everyone reading this as a new forum member.

Like many, I'm starting by reporting problems rather than helping solve some - hopefully it will all come round though!

I have recently bought a 1kw DELL Precision 690 which came with x2 Quadro FX 3500's with an SLI bridge. I can only assume that they were working in SLI mode? Thinking these cards wouldn't be upto the job, I sold them and bought a pair of FX4500's. However, I haven't been able to get the SLI option on screen and have no idea why. This is my first problem.

I am running SolidWorks 2008 which is ok (IMHO I think the old menu system was better but I'll get used to it - I prefer functionality over looks when it comes to software).

I am currently working on some perforated sheet metal parts (8000 1.5mm holes in a part that then gets rolled). I managed to generate a fill pattern and was amazed that the computer/SW managed it after leaving it to ot for around 20 minutes. Unfortunately, this part is use in an assembly where there are two of them.

When I attempted to make up the assembly, these two parts are there but aren't displayed properly on screen. You can only see something when you guess where they are and press the mouse button. You then get an outline of the parts.

Not knowing what to do, I thought adding some RAM might help, so I put another 4GB in the machine this morning, bringing my total up to 6GB of RAM.

How do I solve this problem? Also, has anybody noticed problems with decals and the fact that adding an infinite construction line (either contrained vertically or horizontally) doesn't work? You can still move the line which generates errors?!

Any help would be much appreciated - I hope I'll be able to recipricate at some point!

Richard

www.thinkadvanceddesign.com (website will be up shortly)
Edited by: ThinkDesign

Hello Richard,

You can try to make a configuration in the part where you suppress the perforation. Then in the assembly choose that configuration (Right-click the component and select Component Properties
menu_properties.gif
.) When it's right it must be visible now.

To visualise that you are working with perforated sheetmetal you can also try it with an texture on the face. This needs less building time. (to check building time please look at Tools=> Feature statistics)

You spoke about putting a 4GB extra RAM into the machine. This is only usefull when you working on 64bit machine. A 32 bit machine only use 2GB max for an application.

I hope it has any use.

Joop

Hi Joop,

I understand what you're saying - unfortunately my customer will use the hole co-ordinates for their CNC puncher so it's not purely aesthetic.

Thanks for the tip regarding the RAM - I had started to look at this last night and there are lots of opinions. When I boot the machine up, 6GB is shown in the BIOS but when I look at 'My Computer' properties it only shows 3GB. I'll have to look into this further.

What is the point in having a machine that can take upto 64GB of RAM if none of it can be used!?

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Hello Richard,

When you use the configurations in a part you still can send the information to the CNC puncher (unsuppressed perforation feature). In the assembly you can use the configuration with the suppressed feature.

If your machine can handle 64bits you can choose for a 64 bits OS system and install SW2008 64bits. Then you can use your 6GB.

With regards,

Joop

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back