Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawings - dimensioning between views?

DMG Austin

Is it possible to dimension between views in a solidworks drawing? I am creating a drawing from a customer supplied model to replicate their supplied drawing, which is in bad shape. The part is hexagonal-shaped and one side of the hexagon has holes drilled in it. In keeping with the layout of the customer drawing, I have a front view at the center of the sheet, with an auxiliary view projected from the side with the holes. Going by the customer drawing, the holes in the auxiliary view are dimensioned in the across-direction from a virtual-sharp on the front view. I can't get my system to replicate this, being that it will not dimension view-to-view. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Not very practical, but if you must do this......
I would suggest a work-around if you absolutely must do it this way.
1.) Fix both views so they don't shift position by accident.
2.) You could draw a sketch line for instance from point (view A) to point (view B).
3.) dimension this line as you would like.
4.) change the line style to "stich" so it is barely visible, yet if printed will only appear as a printing problem.
This will appear as if you are dimensioning from one point to another over two views.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back