Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing & Model Link Questions

arsenj

This might be a dumb question, but it is a big problem. When I revise a model in Solidworks and change the revision, the linked model is not updated on the drawing. What si the proper procedure in changing the file name on the model so the model updates on the drawing also?

that depends on how you are revising the model. are you revising it using configurations? This is not the only way to do it, but how i do it is as follows:

1) origional part model is created

2) drawing is created for part model

3) add revision to origional part model using a new configuration

4) open existing drawing, select the properties for each model view and change the configuration information to use the new revision configuration.

5) save drawing as part number + new revision

If you still need some help with it, i can walk you through it over the phone. Just let me know.

If you click File > Save as... there will be a box to check for "save as copy." If this is checked, then a copy of the model is saved withthe new name. This new copy is not linked to any drawings or assemblies. The drawing will still reference the original model.

If it is UNCHECKED, then you are effectively changing the name of the model to the new "save as" name. All links of OPEN drawings and assemblies will change the links to the new model. The old model is no longer linked to the drawing.

So-- if you wish to change the name of the model:

1. <LI>You must have the drawing and associated assemblies open</LI>
    <LI>You must be sure that "save as copy" is UNCHECKED.</LI>
Hope this helps.
Peter
PS- don't confuse drawing linking with "Make Drawing from Part/Assembly
tool_Make_Drawing_Standard.gif
"on the toolbar; this simply creates a drawing with a name identical to the part/assembly. If a drawing identical to the part/assembly namealready exists, then it simply opens that drawing, regardless of what part/assembly that drawing is linked to.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back