Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketch picture will not transfer

Cad_Ninja

Hi all, new to the forum. I have encountered a problem that I could use a hand with. When modeling some generic parts I use a sketch picture on the face to depict what the part is and its appearance. When I addmodel views to a solidworks drawing, the sketch pictures will not show up. I have tried everything I can think of, can anyone help?

You have to show the sketch on the drawing. Determine the view on which you want to show the sketch and find it in the design tree in the drawing. Navigate through the tree to the sketch featureyou require,right-click and select "show".

ProE_Addict said:
You have to show the sketch on the drawing. Determine the view on which you want to show the sketch and find it in the design tree in the drawing. Navigate through the tree to the sketch featureyou require,right-click and select "show".

Yeah, I tried that
smiley17.gif
. I am pretty profficient at solidworks, however I have never encountered this situation before. I have searched through there help topics, and also through all the settings. I can't seem to find anything that will give me an answer. I know there has to be a way, I just can't find it. Thanks for the advice.

CAD_Ninja

Sorry, Ithought you were new to CAD as well when you mentioned you were new to the forum...

You might also check to make sure that you have sketch visibilityturned on under the View menu drop-down.

When you say "sketch picture" do you mean astandard sketch you'd use to create features, or is this a JPG added to a surface? If it's a JPG, maybe try to show the view in shaded mode...

THANKS PROE_ADDICT

This is not a standard sketch, it is a .JPG image that i placed on the surface of a extruded boss, to reduce modeling time. It is a very simple image, however without it, you will have no idea what the model is on the drawing (except for BOM reference). I have the sketches turned on in the view menu, I have made sure the sketch is not "hidden" under the feature in the design tree, and I have tried all standard view modes (shaded, shaded with edges, hidden lines removed, etc..). I am telling you this is driving me completely insane. I am sure it is probably somthing simple that I am missing
smiley7.gif
. Thanks for the input though!

I have run int othis problem before. Are you pulling the jpg in from Photo works or pasteing it onto a surface likea raster image in autocad. If you pull it from Photoworks it will work everytime. You actually have to manually load them image you need into Photoworks first.

arsenj -Unfortunately we do not have the photoworks add on. What I am currentlydoing is using the sketch picture function when i am making the model (Tools/Sketch Tools/Sketch Picture). This allows me to select a surface on the model and then browse for the image file.

ProE_Addict - what do you mean by use a decal?

You need PhotoWorks to create one. You basically use a bitmap image and paste it on a surface. Great for showing silkscreened logos or labels. All you have to do is show the shaded model on the drawing...

This is the exact way to do it, but does it absolutely have to be on the model. You could just insert the image as a .jpg on the drawing itself.

thanks for the replies guys. Since i don't have photoworks, I will have to just do it like arsenj suggests, by inserting the jpg onto the drawing itself. I kinda was hoping not to have to redo all that work, since I already added them to the model. Also when I insert the jpg into the drawing, i will not be able to show them in iso views, ya know.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back