Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D drawing

cadman323

I have a drawing (slddrw) that I am trying to show in a 3 dimensional angle. Is there a way to import a drawing into a model while keeping the dimensions and titleblock? I tried to save as dxf/dwg and insert and open into a model but it doesn't retain the dimensions and the lines don't come in very well. I am trying to "rotate" the drawing image to use in a presentation and wanted it to be in a 3D perspective.

Thanks.

Cadman,

I think if you export the drawing as a JPEG, then there is a way to import the JPEG into the model file. I only use SW at home (ProE in work) so I can't tell you exactly how to do it but I'm 99% sure it can be done that way, just not sure of the specifics.

A lot of people would import concept sketches this way into their models and then use these as a guide as they are modelling.

Hope thus helps

Michael

Thanks for the tip. I tried that but was unsucessful. I tried Insert, Object. I didn't find a jpeg option but tried some of the other and still didn't work. Any ideas on how I would import it?

Try that ! Become from SW 2007 HELP.

You can insert a picture (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, and .wmf) on a sketch plane. Pictures can be used as an underlay for creating 2D sketches. The Sketch Picture PropertyManager controls the picture's position, size, angle, orientation, aspect ratio setting, and transparency.

The picture is inserted with its (0, 0) coordinate at the sketch origin, an initial size of 1 pixel per 1 mm, and locked aspect ratio.

The picture is embedded in the document (not linked). If you change the original image, the sketch picture does not update.

If you sketch on top of the picture, there is no snap to picture, inferencing, or autotracing capability. If the image is moved, or deleted and replaced, the sketch does not update.

If you hide the sketch, the picture is also hidden.

Pictures can be inserted into assemblies when editing a part in context, but they cannot be inserted into assembly sketches.[/list]

< =1.2 =text/>

To insert a picture on a sketch plane:

1. In an open sketch, click Sketch Picture
    Tool_Sketch_Picture_Sketch.gif
    on the Sketch toolbar, or click Tools, Sketch Tools, Sketch Picture.

In the dialog box, browse to the picture file and click Open.
    The picture is inserted.

Set the properties in the Sketch Picture PropertyManager as necessary.

Sorry for troubles in the first replay

Try that !

You can insert a picture (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, and .wmf) on a sketch plane. Picture can be used as an underlay for creating 2D sketch. The Sketch Picture PropertyManager controls the picture's position, size, angle, orientation, aspect ratio setting, and transparency.
<UL>
<LI =kadov-p>

The picture is inserted with its (0, 0) coordinate at the sketch origin, an initial size of 1 pixel per 1 mm, and locked aspect ratio.
<LI =kadov-p>

The picture is embedded in the document (not linked). If you change the original image, the sketch picture does not update.
<LI =kadov-p>

If you sketch on top of the picture , there is no snap to picture , inferencing, or autotracing capability. If the image is moved, or deleted and replaced, the picture does not update.
<LI =kadov-p>

If you hide the sketch, the picture is also hidden.
<LI =kadov-p>

Picture can be inserted into assemblies when editing a part in context, but they cannot be inserted into assembly sketchs.</LI>[/list]
To insert a picture on a sketch plane:

1. <LI =kadov-p>
    In an open sketch, click Sketch Picture
    Tool_Sketch_Picture_Sketch.gif
    on the Sketch toolbar, or click Tools, Sketch Tools, Sketch Picture.
    <LI =kadov-p>
    In the dialog box, browse to the picture file and click Open.
    The picture is inserted.
    <LI =kadov-p>
    Set the properties in the Sketch Picture PropertyManager as necessary. </LI>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back