Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Scaling border to fit drawing 1:1 Scale

davegibs

Hi Guys

I think I'm about to ask a question that cannot actually be answered but here it goes.

Is it possible when creating a drawing 1:1 scale to scale the border to fit around the part? The company I work for is in the process of switching to Solidworks. Currently parts drawn in Autocad are all drawn 1:1 with the border scaled around to fit in model space and printed from here. The company prefers this as it has had problems with scaled parts plasma and lasercut to the incorrect scale. They want to avoid sending too different drawings to the supplier (dxf for pattern, and dwg for bending notes-mostly sheet metal parts) and our suppliers are happy working from one drawing to create both the cutting pattern and read the bending instructions hence the need to fit the border around the 1:1 part drawing.

So can it be done. If not whats your opinion on the best method to send sheet metal parts like these to a supplier-most can only read dwgs and dxfs as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for your help.

Hi
Make you sw drwing as usually do in sw and then save as dxf. On the save as dialog box you have a button "Options". On options mark "Scale output 1:1"

Nucu
smiley1.gif

What we usually do is have two (2) sheet drawings.

The first sheet contains finished dimensions of the part with material, finish, etc. (ANY SCALE).

The second sheet contains the flatpattern with the bend lines hidden.(SCALE 1:1, BOTH DRAWING AND VIEW).

We output sheet two as a DXF and the entire drawing as a PDF. We send both for fabrication.

Good luck
smiley32.gif

Edited by: ttraser

Hey Dave;

I think what you are looking for is this: AutoCAD and SW are different re: drawings. They are almost opposite IMHO. Let me explain.

Your pre-set drawings from Solidworks "out of the box" (A,B,C,D and E size) allow you to place the part drawing, derived from the part model, on it. YOU choose the scale. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the border around the part"; try this:

when you open a drawing from the part directly, you shoul;d be asked what template you want to use. If not, set your Tools-Option-System Options choose Prompt User to Select Document Templates. One by one, place your part drawing view (front reccomended) down and see how it fits. The part may come in at a different scale - just click outside of the drawing view and select Properies, and in the left corner, set the scale to 1:1. click okay and it will reset.

This is different than AutoCAD because you are scaling the PART viewitself, not the drawing. No paper space / model space, really. Its more like take an ACTUAL REAL LIFE 8.5" X 11", and put a penny on it. Pretty small right? Well, if you scale up the penny, it will get bigger on that B size paper. Similarly, in your case, the part (the penny) is already at 1:1, you need to find what paper is close enough to what you want.....

let me know if this helps. I was stuck like you when switching this company from ACAD to SW in Jan 06.........

I know what you are saying phatmanuf but not sure if you understand my problem. Basically I need a 1.1 drawing in solidworks in a company border. I can then save it as a dwg and send it to our suppliers. Currently I have to create a drawing 1.1 in solidworks without a border, save it as a dwg, open it in autocad and scale a border around the part in model space. We don't work in paper space in autocad as we just fit the print to the paper size-drawings are marked DO NOT SCALE.

Ttraser- I take it the dxf is sent out as just a pattern with no border, bend notes, diemsions etc? What do you mean by bend lines hidden-is this so the cutter doesn;t follow them? Do you not dimension the location of the bend lines on the flat pattern or does your supplier fold to the dimesions on the folded part? ie calculate their own bend allowances?

I had a similar problem in pro-engineer when I used it but have since been told by a fellow engineer that he has seen a drawing created 1:1 in pro-engineer with the border scaled to fit but did not know how it was done.

davegibs, you are correct. i have on sheet 1, both bent dimensions, and flat bend line dimensions. sheet 2 is only the flat w/out bend lines for the cutter. we utilize a bend k-factor of .4063. it works well for our vendors, try it.

good luck
smiley32.gif

Dave, just model the part at 1:1 scale (which everything should be modeled as) and then place a border around it. If you need a bigger sheet size, use a bigger sheet. If the part modeled is larger than an "E" size drawing border, then you might have a problem printing 1:1

Steve

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back