Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flat Pattern to CAM whats the best way??

RMS1

Hi ALL!

Well we are experimenting with SW, its not our main drafting package but we usually export an .IGS file to our CAM software called FlowPath by Majestic but we are having trouble with the .IGS file coming out of SW its not even a close representation of the part when we look at it in the CAM software!

Now I am still new at SW so maybe I am not going through all the correct steps. When I unfold my part it still seems to be a 3D part but just unfolded, am I supposed to then convert this into a 2D unfold, before I save as an .IGS?

-any ideas on how we should do this?

Thanks
Edited by: RMS1

When a file is in it's unfolded state and saved as an IGES file, it is a flat 3D file.

When the same file is in a drawing and saved as an IGES file, it is a flat 3D file. (can' be done in Solidworks), but can be in other programs.

When the same file is in a drawing and saved as a DXF file, it is a flat 2D file.

Maybe your question should be to the folks at FlowPath by Majestic.

good luck
smiley32.gif

If "Flowpath" can accept DXF's this is by far the most common format used, at least for the flat pattern to be cut. If you create a 1:1 Solidworks drawing view of the flat pattern and then save as a dxf itwill come out to scale.

ttraser said:
When a file is in it's unfolded state and saved as an IGES file, it is a flat 3D file.

When the same file is in a drawing and saved as an IGES file, it is a flat 3D file. (can' be done in Solidworks), but can be in other programs.

When the same file is in a drawing and saved as a DXF file, it is a flat 2D file.

Maybe your question should be to the folks at FlowPath by Majestic.

good luck
smiley32.gif

Thanks for the info; Better results today though by saving as you said in a drawing in the unfolded state as a dxf, and FlowPath opened it up ok.

Is there a way to save the part in this 2D state without the drawing sheet? It took me a few trys to finaly delete the sheet so only the actual part went into the CAM software.

Thanks,

Rob

In the past, I had used SW2001 (I think) to save a unfolded sheet metal part to a dxf. Like I said....I think, I haven't done this in a long while so am not sure of the facts. I do have a copy of SW2007 but haven't needed to do this function as of yet. You may try and see.

What we usually do is have two (2) sheet drawings.

The first sheet contains finished dimensions of the part with material, finish, etc. (ANY SCALE, WITH FORMAT).

The second sheet contains the flatpattern with the bend lines hidden.(SCALE 1:1, BOTH DRAWING AND VIEW, WITHOUT FORMAT).

We output sheet two as a DXF and the entire drawing as a PDF. We send both for fabrication.

NOTE: ONLY THE PART IS SAVED AS A DXF.

Good luck
smiley32.gif

ttraser said:
What we usually do is have two (2) sheet drawings.

The first sheet contains finished dimensions of the part with material, finish, etc. (ANY SCALE, WITH FORMAT).

The second sheet contains the flatpattern with the bend lines hidden.(SCALE 1:1, BOTH DRAWING AND VIEW, WITHOUT FORMAT).

We output sheet two as a DXF and the entire drawing as a PDF. We send both for fabrication.

NOTE: ONLY THE PART IS SAVED AS A DXF.

Good luck
smiley32.gif

Interesting idea! What I did today is save a new sheet format with out the title block and called it CAM and made this a template. I will look into your idea sounds good!

P.S. How do you add that second sheet?

Thanks for the tips

Edited by: RMS1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back