Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Renaming files to keep Detail Drawings

design-engine

Does anyone have any workflow issues related to renaming files in order to keep the detail drawings intact.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Basically we got eight parts for one size product. We have all the detail drawings completed in a folder (attached to their respective parts). Now I guess we duplicate that folder for a larger size and rename the parts. How do we keep the drawings referencing the new part? Just looking for general ideas on these types of

001_18x24_centerfacia.SLDPRT needs to be renamed to 001_24x36_centerfacia.SLDPRT

The drawing is 001_18x24_senterfacia.SLDDRW

Don't work like Pro/E you know as all the parts sit in memory and with the drawing in ram as well you simply rename the parts and save everything including the drawing.

I think you can use the SW Explorer.
I presume that you make copies also to the drawings.
In SW Explorer select the copied drawings. Now in tab References r. click and select replace.
For these cases when I have many configuration for the same parts I use configuration. I make a single part (001) and inside I make as many configuration I need. Also I can use Design Tables.

Nucu

Ok... Ill set up a test in a folder and play with that. When you do that it changes the references in the drawing too? Thats cool.

I noticed solidworks references files in other directories. How can I make sure I am referencing only files in my local directory. I am afraid I might overwrite another file in another directory.

Usually when you want to make a copy of a project use Pack & Go (File menu). Pay attention to all the option in pack and go dialog box and the other dialog boxes. In this way the references are changed also. Is the best method to make a safe copy in SW.

Nucu

Does anyone have any workflow issues related to renaming files in order to keep the detail drawings intact.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

Basically we got eight parts for one size product. We have all the detail drawings completed in a folder (attached to their respective parts). Now I guess we duplicate that folder for a larger size and rename the parts. How do we keep the drawings referencing the new part? Just looking for general ideas on these types of <O:p></O:p>

001_18x24_centerfacia.SLDPRT needs to be renamed to 001_24x36_centerfacia.SLDPRT<O:p></O:p>

The drawing is 001_18x24_senterfacia.SLDDRW<O:p></O:p>

Don't work like Pro/E you know as all the parts sit in memory and with the drawing in ram as well you simply rename the parts and save everything including the drawing.

Simply pull up both your drawing and your part file. Rename your part file i.e. save as, then go to your Drawing file and note the name of the file that is in a view, rename your drawing file, i.e. save as. Simple as that. Now you have two sets of files that are identical and you can proceed with modifying the one you want.

If you already have the parts completed and have one of the drawings completed, you can utilize that drawing for all the parts, when retrieving the drawing click file, open, select file type drawing, then click on the drawing you want to open, then with out opening it, click on references, select all, replace the part name for a new part name, close, ok, open. This will open the old drawing with a new part. Save the drawing now as the new part name. It works really well.

hope this helps,
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back