Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

design table in assembly

freedomchoppers

can anyone tell me if i create a design table in an assembly can i alter the parts throught that table or will i have to create a table for each part?

You do not get direct control of the components' features in an assembly design table. depending on the specifics of the situation, there can be work-arounds though.

Freedomchoppers,

As far as I know, you need to create a design table for each part and then drive those part instances through your assembly design table. It's a bit daunting at the start and maybe a bit confusing but once it's set up, it's a really good system.

Michael

I am interested in this as well.

So, you create a design table for each part with all desired dimensions linked on it. But then how do you reference the assembly's design table to read the tables for each part?

And a similar system could be used for many layers of sub-assemblies all referenced from one large assembly?

Doug,

You can create further design tables in the assembly file which reference the part instances.

Create an assembly with parts in it that contain different instances which are driven by a design table.

Now create a new design table in the assembly

In the assembly design table, create different instances and then for each part in the design table that you want a different instance to appear, you type $CONFIGURATION@FILENAME<INSTANCENUMBER>

You have to be exact with the name and instance name and number or things wont work. I usually past the name from the properties box to make sure I don't mis-spell.

I sent out an example beofore so if you want a copy, send me your e-mail address.

Michael

James,

I like your motto but it tends to be here:

Work hard, work harder, watch someone else get paid more forworking less!!!

Hy all !

Michel ! Your solution is OK but I think that the questions is not if SW can manage part's configurations (instances) from assy's DT. I think that the question (first post in this topic)is that:

Can SW calculate dimensions for parts if the user change some dimensions in assembly ?

I have the same question. And the answer for me is NO. SW can not (re)calculate dimensions for parts if I change related dimensions in assy. If anyone say YES then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE to teach me. Thank you !

A "solution" for the question is that (is not MY solution; someone teach me):

In assy I make a sketch with lines, circlesarcs and what ealse I need. I put dimensions for that items. The dimensions can be driven (if one item is "in context")or not. I get sugestiv names for this dimensions (like "Length", "Clearence" ...). I send this dimensions in assy's DT and Excel perform calculations and I use the results to modify my sketch items. In addition I use EQUATIONS tool and, of course, "in context" design.

Is hard hard hardwork but, once I finish, I can take a holyday.

Hope you undestand the idea.

Good luck to all !

Mihail,

I would need to check this but I think it can be done. Surely the dimensions of a part could be driven by an assembly design table.

If the design table is set up in the assembly and then the required dimension is linked to that assembly, it should be possible. Think about it, part dimensions can be altered in an assembly and driven by top-down design, so why not use the same theory using a design table. Another way would be to use a skeleton type structure similar to that used in ProE and link the design table to that. I believe there are a number of ways to do what freedomchoppers is asking. I can't promise I will get time later to try this but if I do I will post my results.

Thank you for your fast reply Michel ! I hope you can solve this problem. I can not.

My theory is as your theory but...

Michel ! And you, all ! Can you tel me whereare theDTs (for parts and assemblyes ) on the computer hard disk ? I can not find that Excel files. I supose that DTs are memored in other format (not .xls) but WHERE ARE this files and WHAT EXTENSION have this files. If I can find this files then is "easy" to make the links between this files and perform calculations.

Thank you again !

I am looking into the same problem.
Currently I am starting to use Driveworks Express to do this. It is supposed to be able to relationally drive part sizes.

I am working on an assembly that uses patterns. Say I have a plate that is 20 inches long (Plate 1/4" X 4" X 20" lg.) with 3/8" holes every 4 inches. I have another config that is 30 inches long with the same hole pattern.

In the assembly the Number of bolts would change. Say the first config (20 inches) takes 5 bolts then the second would take 7 bolts. If I pattern the bolts in the first config, is there a way i can incorporate the pattern into the design table? That way i can use an equation to determine the number of bolts automatically (ex: # of bolts = (length of plate /4) or something similar to that).

Edited by: Amar B

Yes, in the design teble, you should be able to specify the number of holes in the pattern. Haven't got SW here but from what I remember you select the pattern number the same way you would select a dimension to go into the design ttable.

Then in excel you can use a formula to create the number of required holes for each length.

Again I can't remember but the SW files I've sent you may have a pateern in them, though I'm not sure.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back