Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Vista

According to "System Requirements" on the Customer Portal page of the Solidworks website...SW2007 is NOT compatible with Windows Vista. They just released SW2008 and that is the only version of Solidworks that is forthe Vista operating system.

SW2007 iscertified to run on Windows XP (32 and 64 bit versions).

- but not on Vista.
smiley6.gif

Edited by: Angstboy

If that is so, then Solidworks should change the web page on their OWN web site. I just accessed it

go to www.customercenter.solidworks.com then select SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

SW2007 has a big red X for Vista. The only Microsoft Operating system on Solidworks own website THAT HAS THE GREEN CHECKMARK is SW2008

I am just reporting what I see, that's all.
smiley23.gif

Edited by: Angstboy

I contacted my Solidworks vendor and asked them directly, citing the reference you listed as well as the one I listed. There response was:

"2008 will contain a released version. The PDF appears to be out-of-date.

We do NOT recommend moving to Vista, as many drivers do not support Vista (printer, graphics card, etc.)."

I asked them to contact Solidworks and have them update their posted pdf.

How does the saying go...individual results may vary? I suppose with Vista it all depends on exactly what hardware and software combinations you have. Just as some people have successfully'upgraded' their existing pc hardware to Vista and some can't. My Solidworks vendor seems to feel thatusers arebetter off buying a new pc with Vista preinstalled so that all the components are Vista certified compatible from the start.

Perhaps you could list your configuration so we could all benefit? You seem to be one of the lucky ones. Did you 'upgrade' or buyVista preinstalled?

I needed to purchase a new computer and I decided to go with Vista as I
expect this computer to last longer than support for XP lasts.

I purchased a Vista certified DELL with the graphics cards approved by
Solidworks. There is a "Pre-Release" version of SW 2007 SP4.0 that runs
fine and I can easliy pass files back and forth to my colleges who are
still on an XP system. This saved me the headache of going to 2008 (and
therfore all my collegues) mid-project.

I think that was a very wise decision all around. Plus whenever there is a new release there will be bugs. In the company that I work for, management realizes that the IT people know nothing about CAD or the needs of an engineering department so they turned authority of those aspects (hardware & software) over to me - a Solidworks user and one of the senior engineers. I never upgrade Solidworks when it is first released, I always wait until at least the first or second service pack to fix the most serious bugs. From what I hear about SW2008, the user interface is radically different so I will need to take some training before we upgrade.

Something you might want to look into...there are a few of the newer usb flash drives with a technology that allows them to be utilized as additional system RAM under Vista. It is supposed to help performance a lot. A 4GB flash drive is about $50 US so you could plug a couple of these in and boost your system ram by 8GB instantly. I am curious about how it affects Solidworks performance.
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back