Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Question. Please Help.

Transworldmotox

First off, i would like to say hi, im new to this forum. let me give you a little information, im 17, and just learning solidworks. ive taken about 4 weeks of classes, but am still at a very basic level. My question is, i have a 3d model of a mold for a injection molding machine, but now i have to add some mounting brackets, so i added them and got them into place, but i need to make a cut out of where they are, is there a quick way to do this? let me draw a crude picture to explain.
hahaxm6.png

So basically, its 3d, and the mounting is on the side, but what i need to do is make a slot for the mouting bracket and pins to slide in on the mold. how would i go about doing this? i tried using an extrded cut i think, by the way, its an assembly. someone please help! if anyone can please im me, that would be awesome. Transworldmotox. Thanks everyone.
smiley19.gif

Just open the PART where the brackets will mount and do a cut extrude on the face as needed for your brackets. Then do another cut extrude for your pins.

This is a chance for a little introduction toan advanced modeling technique: creating features in the context of the assembly.

In the assembly, select the mold base and click the icon 'Edit Component'. Now you are editing this part from within the assembly. Create a sketch on the face of the mold base, using the features on the mounting bracket: probably an offset. Complete your sketch (make sure sections are closed), and make a cut. Now you have your feature. But it's tied to the mounting bracket too.

You probably want to break the references to your mounting bracket, as it may complicate your constraints at a later time. Open the mold base, and note the arrow '>' on the new feature in the model tree. Select the feature, right-click and select 'Break References'. A menu pops up: select all and break them. But you're not done yet. Edit the sketch: open the constraints menu, and delete all of the constraints with a 'x' next to them. Now establish constraintsfor the sketch entitiesandfeatures on the part that reflect your design intent until your lines are black, not blue. Regenerate, and you're done. NOTE: since you selected a sketch plane on the mold, you won't have to redefine your sketch plane.

This is a simple but extremely useful tool for design work on parts related through assemblies. You will use it many times. Be careful about leaving the constraints formed through assemblies in place though: this can result in a rat's nest of relations if you don't use good housekeeping. Kinda like that tangle of wires behind your computer.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back