Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

A bit lost on cutting surfaces

Mrodgers

My company has movedfrom autocad to SW for die design at our workplace.
(but decided against the training course as they didnt want to dish out for it)

So with no training classes and using the built in tutorials, for the most part I think ive at least got a grasp of what it is I need to know in SW for the designs I need.
smiley36.gif

The one that thats stumped me for 2 days is a rather simple cut into a solid that I need to finish the set of dies
Here is a image of the 2d front and side view on AC of the cuts i need to make.The green lines is what I need to cut, and the depth profile can be seen in the side view.

2x7capmodelqy3.jpg

This is what I got for my model in SW so far

part8az9.jpg

And im at a total loss on how to get it how i need it
Ive tried 3d sketches connecting the points i need in the shape of the cut, and using cut loft, it errors on me.

I know this has to be a simple proccess, just lost for how its done in SW vs AC.

In the modeling view, the cut appears to be between the sketch profiles- is this what you want?

In the same view, the lower most cut looks like a lofted cut (Insert > Cut > Loft)? I'm not sure how to end (or start) the loft in a point. The others look like a combination of extruded and rotated cuts, or sweeps combined with rotations.

It appears youmight have to dealwith "zero thickness" errors between each cut. Without more details it's hard to guess what your intent is here.

The mid plane in the part is the max depth that the cut goes to, not where the sketch of the cuts are, its on the top face of the part.

The cuts are pretty much somewhat like concave tear dropped shaped valleys that smooth out to the edge.

I tried to take a better plot of it here without all the unneeded items and can see the cross section line and the profile of that section to the right.
(this is why we are going to solid works, the steel cutters having a hard time visualizing the 3d cuts in 2d drawings we send)

2x7capmodelft3.jpg

The best way to describe them is how the designer here calls them "beetle shell impressions"
As the plastic that is pulled from the plate during cleaning resembles the beetles plates on his shell (or a turtle too I suppose)

I'm beginning to understand...

What happens at the place where two "beetle shells" come together? For instance, the boundary just to the right of your section line? Is that a sharp edge?

Send me the model via PM (if you're allowed to) and I can try and look at it over lunch break.

Peter

yea, its a ramp up to the lower midcut (you should be able to see what midcut im talking about in the part file)

One good way I just thought of to explain it, each of the green cutouts have a 'rose petal'concave shapeto them, as far as how the cut curves into the part.

If it helps any, the plate is part of a multiplate extrusion system. the 'bettle shell' areas are where the plastic flows to cover the product coming thru the red lines

(its a 2 layer extrusion, this is the plate that puts the top layer on before leaving the die.)
here is a view of all the plates (minus the one in question) we are working on, to see if it helps you get an idea of the flow
assem4rl4.jpg

Ill rar it up and see if I can send it over. seems I cant attach the file to this post
Edited by: Mrodgers

my experience with SW, since 97 is that you are attempting to do the mold in reverse. SW can easily generate a mold from an existing part. I'd start there first.

Well its not a mold exactly, well not injection molding anyway
Its extrusion, as in continuous product coming out of the die..the product is the shape of the hole in the plate itself (hollowed, but thats just a pin in the die itself)

And thats exactly what I needed Rimma, it looks a lot more complicated than i assumedit would be to do a cut like that. Ill search it over see if i can figure out how you made that cut, and I should be able to get what I need to finish the part
smiley36.gif

We are still poking our boss to put in the cash for the training classes, but hes a tight wad when it comes the things he doesnt understand it seems.
Edited by: Mrodgers

Hi

had u tried the two body option....

i mean if u can make exact shape of that cut part u can substract that from main body by using boollean operation.(do not use cut operations ..make one body and then substract it from main body)

Hi Koustubhk!

Yes I use this way daily. It's very comfortable option to get exact shape from body using bollean operation for shape-generating part of mould.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back