Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW v’s Inventor Battlefield Report

prohammy said:
I should clarify that I have used both Inventor and SW, but ProE is the mainstay of my design experience

Kev

How do you rate ProE against the other two, or why is ProE your mainstay? and how do you rate Inventer against SolidWorks?

RMS1,

Dangerous question to be asking....look on the ProE forum and you'll see various threads where the merits of SW v's ProE have been 'discussed', it usually ends with some rather heated posts.

But here we go (Jelston/AHA-D if you are looking, I know we have gone thru this before, but......)

ProE was the package I was initially trained on and the one I find the easiest/best to use. Generally, here in the UK, the industries that I work in tend to have ProE as their design tool and because ProE is what I know best of all, this is what I target.

Re Inventor v's SW, I prefer SW (it can basically do more), but there are things in Inventor that I like as well.

Kev

inventorcould be unbeatable and make a name for themselves in the next decade.

I think Inventor should focus their efforts on integrating Alias Studio power to the core software kernel instead of working on a seamless integration IGES transfer. PTC did the same maturation process when they purchased CDRS. I don;t think the marketing people at Autodesk really know what their doing or maybe I don't realize the costs associated with the tasks. But for a quick History lesson....

Was about 1994 or so when PTC could not get into the Auto Industry they decided to purchase a key auto design software CDRS from Evans and Sotherland. The programmers created a seamless integration software where designers could have both seats up at once Pro/E and CDRS and spit seamlessly parts back and forth between design and engineering. Do your concept surfacing in CDRS and all your b side geometry on Pro/E. CDRS sales suffered and Ford and GM moved heavy to Alias Studio.

PTC had this bad ass software and the programmers who developed it wondering what to do next. Best thing they could have done was create an integrated mo dual called ISDX... basically Surfacing on steroids for design all inside one supper feature all in a Pro/E part.

Pro/E is a hi-end modeler and Inventor is clearly in a different category. I am not sure the market is in hi-end modeling so.... The market and most potential for growth is entry level and companies moving from 2d to 3d. That's what Autodesk commands... The 2d market. Thats what the other 3d CAD manufactures are scared of... Not capturing that low end entry market.

do that and you can compare inventor to solidworks

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back