Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3d guide curves for loft

TWINTURBOTOM

this refers to my turbo post from last week that no one responded too...go to that post for pics

i have a path...a profile at each end...the profiles are circles with different diameters...when the path is at the center of both circles my loft won't work the way i want it to workt.... when the guide curve is coincident to the circumfrence solidworks understands what i am doing... solidworks i think considers circles as having 4 points....and each point needs to be controlled by a path, if you want to vary the dimension of the circle....if i use one guide curve i can only control a quarter of the circle....does this mean if i want to go from one profile to the next i need to have 4 guide curves???

the sketh of the path is 3D....how do I make an offset of my 3d sketch? copy the entire sketch and tranlate it???

i have one perfect path...and i just want the damn circle to vary it's diameter as it travels through the path....it seems like i need curves for this....which means i need to make more 3d curves??? i just want to write a damn equation...in pro/e terms (maybe someone knowns both packages and help me make the transition from this type of relation).... d1=1+trajpar*10 ...DONE...how the hell does solidworks do that??? it seems like it only does it by me making a bunch of guide curves.... any help out there???? i have it working but i mean...4 guide curves and 2 profiles is not what i would call and intelligent model...i'm looking for a more efficient way....tips, tricks???

I think what you want is not a loft but a sweep. The difference between the two is that in a loft the part is created between the difference surfaces and guide curves are used to change a specific part of the loft. So if you have two circles on different plains and a guide curve on one side the part will first be lofted between the two circles first and the guide curve will push one side of the loft in and creating a loft that is curved on one side only because that is the only side you said you wanted to be adjusted. If you want to use lofts and create a varying shape cone that has specific diameters at specific points within the model you would create different plains that are set at different heights and create the different circles on each plain. Then in one loft command select each circle in order and create the loft. This will produce the shape you want if you need specific diameters at specific points.

If you don

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back