Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

thread form ending or blending

hellomoto

I want to model a custom thread. To do so, I created a helix and a sketch of the thread form. then used the sweep command to create the thread. So, here is the question, how do I bring the thread in. That is, I want the start of the thread and the end of the thread to merge or dive into the body. Most threads are formed or molded. So that's why i want to bring the end faces into the root of the cylinder. Leaving the ends perpindicular to the root may cause the thread to cut the mating thread.

Anyways, can anyone here recommend a way to model a thread with blended ends? The way I model the threads doesn't wok well. Filleting the end is how I try to solve this, but doesn't work well either. Help.

Thxs

Hellomoto,

this is how i do my thread - sketch circle then extrude, select face of extruded entity right clique Insert Sketch then go to Tools from pull down menu select -Sketch Tools -Convert Entities to create a circle on the face clique ok then go to Insert(pull down menu) select Curve then select Helix/Spiral you can now choose the pitch/revolution etc. then create plane at end of helix by selec the helix then go to pull down menu select Insert then Reference Geometry then choose plane then the plane appears clique ok select the plane right clique Insert Sketch draw profile of thread -dont forget to pierce- when everythings allright go to Insert (pull down menu)then choose Cut then choose sweep.... so after doing this plenty of times and lots of patience you got it !!! good luck..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back