Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW 2007 installation

iglod

HiI've downloaded SW 2007 into my system (Windows XP home edition). It's completed installation no problem, but when I'm launching the SW it gives me the following message:

"a problem was encountered accessing the proper security device. The device may be missing or have invalid information. The application will be terminated immediately"

Any advices on what should I do. I know from the fact that this program has been successfully installed on other machines.

Thanks

I think you will find part of your answer here: [url]http://files.solidworks.com/supportfiles/SNLAdminGuide/2007/ English/netlicguide.htm#Section6 [/url]

There are at least two different versions of Solidworks that I know of. The one most of us are familiar with and use is the standalone version. That one does not use a dongle (either in the USB port or parallel port). Starting with service pack 3 of version 2007, the activation process of the software changed. Now the software requires an Internet connection so it can dial up Solidworks directly. When it connects, an algorithm inspects your computer's hardware configuration and comes up with an encrypted code based on that. This prevents the software being reinstalled on another pc. The standalone version is also allowed to be installed twice - one copy for a desktop/work use and one copy for a mobile/home use.

There is another version of Solidworks and it sounds like this is the one you have - the SNL version.

The SolidNetWork License (SNL) allows users to install more seats of the SolidWorks<SYMBOL name="Registered">

There is one other thing you could try if you do in fact have the SNL version of Solidworks and are trying to install it at home where you can not connect to the license server (which has the dongle). It is called an "ANY" license.
Go to the online reference site I listed in my previous posting. Below is a cut and paste of the procedure from that document.
The temporary "ANY" license creates an SNL file, which may be used to temporarily replace a dongle for:

SNL installations that have experienced a dongle failure and a replacement dongle is not immediately available or New SNL installations.[/list]
To install an "ANY" license file:

New SolidWorks SNL customers start at step 3.

Existing SolidWorks SNL customers that have experienced a dongle failure start at step 1.[/list]

1. Uninstall the SNL Manager and delete the install folder.

Remove the dongle from your computer.

Follow the installation instructions under License server installations. Click Cancel when you see the following message:
"Could not read the Globetrotter dongle ID number.
Please make sure the dongle is firmly connected on this computer then press Retry."
The Dongle ID "ANY" appears automatically.

1. Continue with the installation instructions under License server installations.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back