Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Layers

ScuzZ

This is probably one of those really remedial questions, and as an autocad user going to Solidworks I find it pretty difficult to work out.

I'm attempting to put layers in for a drawing, but everytime I look at the layer taskpane it's disabled. How do I enable it, and put things on each layer?

Anyone have a quick tutorial on putting layers in?

i am also a heavy ex-acad user myself. from what ive researched on SW, it seems to me that layers are only used for linestyles and not for what we're used to in acad.

but i may be wrong. i also would like someone to give me some more insight into layers.

SolidWorks is used mainly for solid modeling, meaning that 2D drawing or sketch is just to define the profile of the particular feature. It's true that the purpose of layers in SW is not the same as in AutoCAD. I don't really know how to use layers for the sketch, but so far as a novice user of SW I've never used layers for the sketch.

Mushab said:
SolidWorks is used mainly for solid modeling, meaning that 2D drawing or sketch is just to define the profile of the particular feature. It's true that the purpose of layers in SW is not the same as in AutoCAD. I don't really know how to use layers for the sketch, but so far as a novice user of SW I've never used layers for the sketch.
Sorry to say but my draftings in solidworks are about as intricate and complete as my autocad draftings.

Hi all, Layers in ACAD are easy to use.In SolidWorks Layers are used to setLine properties for Drawings (Drafting Mode) which can have few of the features that we can get it in ACAD. Line styles,Like Solidlines, Hidden lines, Thin lines then setting colors, & Visibility on/off.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back