Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

extrusion direction vector

simonk

can anyone explain to me how to use the 'Direction Of Extrusion' in an extruded boss/base, I can't for the life of me work out how to create a 'direction vector' to extrude along. I have SW 2006, in the "Extrude Property Manager" help it has an example, but doesn't explain how to do it, and I'm lost...
smiley19.gif

what I want to achieve is a cylindrical cut at 45 degrees through an extruded tube, but right now I'd settle for a square boss simply protruding from a base plate at an angle

can anyone guide me? or even point me to a good example that exists already?

I think in order to extrude at an angle, you need to create a plane at that angle and put your sketch on this plane. Then when you extrude it should go where you want it to.

Smoky

To create your boss off the flat plate, it would actually be a Sweep:

Create profile sketch on your base plate > create a new sketch, this time it is your sweep path.

Highlight the two and launch your Sweep tool.

Peter
Edited by: SSLaser

Hi

Create a separate sketch line, that will represent the direction vector. Than create your profile sketch and when you create the extrude feature select the first sketch as direction.

Nucu

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back