Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How do I reduce large file size

Ian Hirons

Hello there,

I'm working on a file which seems to be growing exponentially in size every time I add a new feature. Its currently about 700mb, and just total crap to work with. I have a decent duo core laptop and graphics card, yet its still taking 15 minutes to save the file!

Any idea on what kinds of features or rebuild errors may be causing this, and how I may reduce the size.

Thanks,

Ian H

Hi
Try to make a bounding box feature just before you close your file and save it like this. On the next open delete this feature and so on.

nucu

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the Advice. I've called my distributor, and I'll try SP3.0 first, apparently this will reduce somewhat.

When you say bounding box Nucu, do you mean a big block?

Eric, how much of a reduction do you find you'll get from this? I'll give it a go!

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

Ian

SW keeps a "backup" version when saved the "second" and so forth time.

Saving the file under a new name will remove the backup file and save the file at a reduced size.

I like to do this from time to time when designing/creating a part that is going to take a while to create.

Trraser,

I am up to rev 37 of this part, so the file name has consistently changed, might be another issue. Installing SP3.0 Today.

Cheers,

Ian

Egirard,

I tried unfrag, and it did a great job of reducing the overall directory size. File is down to about 350mb...getting there!

Thanks for your help so far.

Ian

An extrude feature that is bigger than model overall dimension = bounding box
The unfrag program reduce the file size only on HD if you open again the file size is the same. It's good for sending files.

Nucu

Yes i agree with ttraser, i used to see the files size getting bigger & bigger & saving it as a new file used to solve the problem.

A single file that is that large? What are you creating if I may ask? I have worked with SW since version 98 up to 2007 today. I have never had a file size that large in a SINGLE PART FILE. I can see an ASSEMBLY being that large. Let me know what is it your doing with the part. It doesn't sound right.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back