Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mac....Solidworks....and Video Card ???

kurlee daddee

I am about to pull the trigger and buy myself a Mac Pro with dual 2.66 Intel processors and 2 gigs of ram. I am going to run Solidworks on this machine. What do you think the is the best choice for video cards from the choices I have posted:

<STRONG id=GraphicsSupportMacProRow1Title>2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (running 2 of these cards)[/b]

or

<STRONG id=GraphicsSupportMacProRow2Title>ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) (Running one single card)[/b]

I want the fastest and most reliable video card I can get between the two. What do you guys think?

I am not into gaming or anything of that nature. I will probably do some Photoshop stuff, as well as video editing and things of that nature.

Thanks in advance

A Quadro-card or a Fire GL-card (or any SW-approved card) would be the
best performer I think.
But hey, they cost quite alot eh? :)
I just got my SW-license, and I'm about to upgrade from a Macbook Pro to
a Mac Pro, so I have done some thinking on this graphiccards too.
It's only possible to have one of the PCIe slots running at 16 lane.
That means that if I go for the X1900 XT-card from Apple, and if I want
another "pc"-card dedicated to SW running in XP, I will have to use the
XP-
card on a 8 lane PCIe because the X1900 XT will need the 16 lane to
work.
At least thats what the sales personnel at Apple store says about this.

I would be happy if someone could try to move thier X1900 XT to a 8 lane
(or maybe one can change that in software) and give us a repport?

Been looking at the 8800 GTX, that is a nice card, but definitely not
something one would like to put in a 8 lane slot.

Edited by: m_collner

Personally, I tend to like ATI cards just a littlebetter, but SolidWorks seems to support nVidia cards a bit better than ATI cards. For instance, last time I looked, there seemed to be RealView support for a lot more nVidia cards than ATI cards.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back