Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

weight in BOM

hoodrider

Hi, im a new solidworks user and i can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

Problem: I need to display the weight of the individual parts in an assembly in the Bill of Materials. I'm able to insert a weight column but no value is displayed.

Question: do i need to calculate the weight or can solidworks do this for me and automatically insert it for me?

Thanks-Curtis

Youneed to assign the mass to a property. Open the part (you may want to create a template after doing this):

1. <LI>File > Properties > Configuration Specific tab (I'll explain why below).
    <LI>Under Property Name type "Weight" or "Mass" or whatever you want to call the property.
    <LI>Leave the type as text.
    <LI>Under Value / Text Expression pull down menu (little arrow on right side of box- easy to miss), select "Mass." You'll see something like SW-Mass@@[email protected] appear in the box. You've now assigned the mass to a property named "Weight."
    <LI>On your BOM in the drawing: Click a cell in the column where you want the property "Weight" to appear > Click Column Properties > Click Custom Property radio button > On the pull down find your newly created property (you may have to scroll down to the bottom of the list).
    <LI>You can live with the default title or type one of your own.</LI>

The reason for choosing the configuration specific tab is that you may want to create several configurations, all variations of a part, that appear in your assembly- so you'll want the respective mass for each configuration appearing in your BOM.

Point of frustration on my part- why why WHY doesn't "SW-Mass" appear on the pull down for custom properties in the Column Properties PropertyManager? Wouldn't it be much easier to simply select this than to do the above??

Peter

Edited by: SSLaser

I had a question about detail weight as well. But I didn understandwhere I can find Column of property which is described earlier?

Jeyaar,

You'll have to first insert the column: Pick a cell in the table>right click > Insert > column Left or Column Right > Click a cell in your new column then follow step 5 and 6 above.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back