Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

mating angled cylinders

simonk

I have an assembly with 2cylinders in it (both the same part), the cylinders are angled at one end, and I want to join them together... but I can't get them to mate. I'm new to SW ('06) so I may be doing the wrong thing....

I'm learningSW to design a spaceframe differential carrier that I'll make out of 38mm tubing

any tips?

here's a picture of the 2 cylinders to better describe what I'm trying to do.

matetubes.jpg
I

I would say the easiest way would be to first get them on the Front plane.
Then mate together the origins assuming the origins were at the center of your angled cut operation.

If you can make this from a single piece, you might try sweeping your tube cross section on a 90-degree guide curve.

Edited by: SSLaser

thanks guys -

ridein, I'll try what you've suggested

SSLaser, I'll be making the actual frame from cut pieces of tube, so I want the model to have the individual pieces joined together the same as I will do it in real life...

nucu said:
Hi
I think that the best method for you is to use Weldments.

Buna NUCU. Sper ca am adoptat calea corecta pt ca NUMAI tu sa primesti acest mesaj. Cam putini romani pe aici. Pe mine nici nu ma pun la socoteala fiindca sunt cvasiincepator. Daca ai amabilitatea si timpul necesar, contacteaza-ma te rog pe adresa [email protected] . Este, bineinteles si calea catre messenger. Trebuie sa te avertizez insa
smiley1.gif
ca... o sa te bat la cap cu unele intrebari pe SW.

Multumesc cu anticipatie. Sa auzim de bine !

I have a solution for your cylinders: Not: This works in SW 2007 but I think that work in SW 2006 too.

I create (With REFERNCES tool) the folloing references:

a) The axis of cylinders (Axis1 and Axis2); and b) The center of the cutting side of the cylinders (Center1, Center2).

I use other 2 points: The quadrant points for your trouble sourfaces (Point1, Point2)

The mates are:

1)PERPENDICULAR ( Axis1, Axis2); 2) COINCIDENT (Center1, Center2) and 3) COINCIDENT (Point1, Point2).

Contact me at [email protected] and I send you the necesary files. I don't know the metod to send the files HEARE.

Place two small holes in the elliptical face along its long
axis. Then using the elliptical faces and the holes you
will get a perfect mate with three constraints.

Your making four of them welded together like a picture frame right?

You can mate them using planes then cut them with each other using surfaces top down style.

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back