Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sweep

timgeurtjens

does anyone know how I can sweep a profile along a helix. The problem is that the I basicly want a loft around a helix, so the start profile is different from the end profile.

Thanks, Tim

Did you successfully create your helix sweep path?

If so,createa startand end profiles normal to the start and end of the helix. Do this by creating a plane normal to curve, choosing the endpoint of the helix and the helix itself; then sketch your start and end profiles on the respective planes.

Then: Insert > Loft > Choose your start/end profiles > Choose your guide curve.

Peter

Thanks peter, but unfortunately it's not working. Solidworks doesn't seem to be able to calculate the result. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

You need at least two helices to serve as Guide Curves. Then you
need two planes at both ends of the helices on which you sketch the
different profiles. The profiles must connect to the ends of the
helices. I have done this with different size squares as the
profiles using loft. Send me a JPEG file with as much information
as you can and I will work on it.

[email protected]

Even a single Helix works, but need to define a proper Start & End Profile, like a square profile lofted to a Rectangular profile may work even with a single Helix centred.

The key thing here in loft feature is no. of segments in start section & no segments inend section.Like in Square to Reactangle loft, the software can easily compute the flow of geometry from four segments to four segments, so even a square can be lofted to circle, provided the circle is made in four segments and proper vertex to vertex aligment is made.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back