Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

A challenge for you - $100 reward

obmon

Hello and how do you do.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have a very interesting challenge regarding the creation ofa sweep in Solidworks and I offer $100 dollars to the first person that posts or emails me with a working solution.

The challenge involves a bevel on a hole made into an elliptical head.

First, what we know to work... First create an elliptical head by drawinga sketch on the front plane as shown in the image . Revolve the sketch along its vertical centerline.

Draw a circle on the top plane with its center at the origin, and dimension it to 500mm in diameter. Extrude Cut this circle through the body of the head.

Now, draw a sketch using the front plane on the outer edge of the newly made hole. See the image attachment for a reference. Next, create a Swept Cut using the new profile sketch as the profile, the inner edge of the hole as the path, and the outer edge of the hole as the first guide line (Use follow path and first guide line as the orientation/twist type). This new cut, or bevel, is what we want and what we are after. The problem is when the hole is not centered.

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">For the challenge...[/I] Repeat the steps above but when you create the sketch for the Extruded Cut, this time however, set the center of the circle off to theleft of the origin, as shown in the image . Re-create the profile and the Swept Cut on the holes new location and watch what happens...

The resulting bevel is NOT what we are after. In various combinations of the settings, the Sweep Cut flares in an unnecessary way, comes off the path of the hole, or just doesn't solve at all. Also, the further the hole isfrom the centerof the head, or the bigger the head, the more pronounced the problem is. To really see this, try creating the above steps on alarger head.

We are looking for a solution to this problem. There must be a way to have the profile sketch follow the path of the hole more accurately. Do you know the way?

Good Luck,
Ahmed

Ahmed, you've peeked my curiosity but I can't understand what you're after in the end. The profile sketch is my concern, are you trying to revolve that profile or remove material with it? If you can give some more info about what you're after, maybe I can help.

Steve
Edited by: swcalvert

steve, what I'm trying to do.. is both actually. I need a sketch that i can use as a cut for the bevel in the steel plate, and the same sketch (preferably) to be reused in created a solid that will represent the weld material.
Edited by: obmon

Mr ahmed, my name is mohammed. iam very gald to see arabian muslim man here, iam from egypt and i want to know you if you let me. iam a student is faculty of engineering mechanical department ad iam fond of solidworks,iam learning it my self as i have no centers in my city to take in.hoping to mail me and contact and being friends. my mail is: [email protected]

SanQ so much and waiting your response.

salaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

I think a little tweaking around in the Sweep cut options would actually take care of your problem. I have come across this kind of a problem recently.

If you can send me the SolidWorks file, then maybe I can give it a try.

Thanks

Dear Mohammed,

I respect your sentiments, but if I were you, I would have sent a PM to Ahmed instead of posting the message in the forum for everyone to see.

Thanks

Mohammed,

It's nice to meet you to. Send me a private email if you wish to develop a business relationship.

Niki,

I have tried every combination in the sweep feature possible, all to no avail. I will send you the file in the morning for you to play with. which email would you prefer?

Regards,
Ahmed

dear nikki, thank you so much but iam anew comer in this forum and now very clever in dealing with foriegn forums for me, your message will be consideres and hoping to be friends. my email is shown to you , add me if you want, and i didnt sent this message as pm to let every one see that i want to make friendship with you.
smiley2.gif

salaaaaaaaaaaaam

In the first place you are not going to cut the hole as shown in the
drawing, so why try to define it that way. The hole will be cut
in a plane tangent to the head at the 1200mm location so why not
illutrate it that way. If done that way, the cut sweep will work
out just fine.

I'm sorry WCWyder... not quite sure what you are getting at. At the moment the hole is made from a sketch on the top plane (in this example)... are you saying that if we draw a sketch on a plane tangent to the surface of the head and use that for the hole... the sweep for the bevel would work better?

regards,

Ahmed

On further consideration, the hole drawn on the tangent plane will have
to be an ellipse such that its profile on the base plane will be a true
circle. I assume that a true cylinder perpendicular to the base
will rise through the hole. Again, your weld profile will cut
sweep correctly. The ellipse will have dimensions of 500mm x
544.75mm. I hope this helps.

hi obmon
i read ur Q. and try to find the sol.
but i m confused, that what shape u want to get.
and by only ur method or any others.

i m thinking that u want that solution which i have ut unable to post here because i m unable to upload the .jpg file.

so mail me or give me ur e-mail id.

u can mail me at

[email protected]

bye....................

obmon

I have found a way to do what U want. There is no easy way to do it and the method is little different.

What is your e-mail to send U the part.

[email protected]

P.S. And let me make thise clear: As I understand U want the Swept Cut to follow the path of the hole no matter what is the distance between the origin and hole center, and no matter of the diameter of the hole?????
Edited by: super_puh

WCYDER -

Per your suggestion, to get this right, you recommend drawing an ellipse on the plane used to create the holes instead of a circle, and then that will create a circlular hole that will allow the sweep to succeed?

Could you also explain how you worked out the dimensions of the ellipse?

-Chander, my email is [email protected]; ifyou click on the following links, you should be able to see the picture:

Head: http://xs113.xs.to/xs113/07096/head.jpg

Profile: http://xs113.xs.to/xs113/07096/profile.jpg

Problem-cut: http://xs113.xs.to/xs113/07096/problem-cut.jpg

-Super_Puh,

I look forward to seeing your solution, my email is [email protected]. And yes, you are correct, the Swept Cut has to follow the path and remain with the path no matter the angle, distance, and origin.

Regards,
Ahmed

If you look at the cross secrtion of your hole, which is sloped
downward from the top of the doom toward the side, the sloped length of
"your hole" measures approximately 544 mm, while the wideth remains 500
mm. I think this works because the new hole's surface is in a
plane more so than the surface of "your hole". The elliptical
hole projects on your base as a circle, as you wanted from your
original drawing.

WCWYDER...

I am extremely confused by what you are saying.

The only thing I understand is the part where you say that an ellipse drawn on the top plane (544x500)will project a circular hole (500x500).

First, the math doesn't make sense. If the length changes, why doesnt the width as well?

Second, are you saying that to get the proper dimensions for the ellipse, I would first have to create the circle as a profile to cut with, measure the result, and then go back and edit the profile?

"I think this works because the...", what works? the new circular hole based on an elliptical profile?

"the new hole's surface is in a plane more so than the surface of "your hole". "... How is that possible? shouldn't it be that if i create any profile on the top plane to use as a cut for the hole, whether it be a square, an ellipse, or a circle, the plane would be the same, right? and further more.. what plane exactly? there is no plane createdwhen the hole is created. How can i see this plane? or a representation of it?

"The elliptical hole projects on your base as a circle".. what do you mean 'base'.. dont you mean head?

Maybemy lack of understanding isbecause my mind is so busy on so many things, but please explain yourself again more accuratly. I am confused by what you are trying to explain to me.

Regards,
Ahmed

No, the hole on the tangent plane must be an ellipse. In order
the determine the dimensions of the elliptical hole, you must
first create the hole as you did. Looking at the cross section of your
hole you can measure its length, its width will be 500 mm. Delete
your hole. Create a plane, tangent to the surface of the doom,
1200 mm from the center, and on this plane sketch the ellipse, long
dimension radially. Cut a hole with this sketch. When
viewed from the top it will project as a cicular hole as shown in your
third sketch. I assume you want to weld a cylinderical object,
perpendicular to the base of the doom, at the hole.

You may have to tweak the distance from the center of the doom or head,
of the point where the tangent plane is generated, in order to have the
elliptical hole project a circle at exactly 1200 mm from the
center. But for such a large object I can't believe a few mm off
center will make any difference. I had to increase the distance from
center to 1215 mm in order to get a centered projection. But this
is what makes CAD software so useful.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back