Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW Newbie...potential job

AGaribay

I need to know some basics for modeling with SW07 as I potentially could get a job using SolidWorks (next week I have an interview). I am wondering if you guys could lead me to some free Basic training of SW? (I learn quick).

note: I use ProE

Free is hard to get these days. We do offer solidworks training tho and we teach more about techniqe than with the step by step stuff most trainign organizations do.

[url]http://www.proetools.com/courses/SolidWorks/3weekoverview.ht m[/url]

For yourself to get trained good enought to not look bad at a job you really need the three week class paisted here. I over heard one of the solidworks instructors talking about doing a surfacing class only on the weekends. I teach Pro/E BTW not solidworks.

Edited by: arrichar

You will find SolidWorks very easy to learn compared to Pro/E- at leastWildfire 1.0 which was the last version I used before changing jobs and CAD systems.

There is a tutorial that comes with SolidWorks- that combined with the help files, you should become productive in a week or so.

The training courses offered by your VAR still help, as you can't learn everything through the help files.

I use to use pro-e wildfire for my previous job, then switch jobs and switched over to SW. I was up to full speed on SW within one week just by going through the tutorials that come with SW. The two systems are very similar. You basically just need to relearn the difference in terminology and the location of all icons.

The important thing to show is you have 3-D modeling expierence.

My guess is once you have one under your belt, its a pretty small learning curve to learn another.

design-engine said:
sketcher is almost the same at least. Can be a little irratating in solidworks w/o the intent manager.

Been using Pro/E for several years and just started with SW2007 - seemd pretty nice. Is there an intent manager in SW? I really liked that feature in Pro/E.

Bart,

if SW sketch is not what you want it to be keep putting in the enhancement requests. Speaking of those I have a few for SolidWorks which I'll list in your origina Ten things Solid Works needs to fix post. I can't believe you're actually complaining about the SW sketcher if you are using 2008.

The Relations can be created way more efficiently in Solid Works with it's context toolbars and you don't have to preselect the Constraint to Apply and be limmited to just that Constraint. In SW you can select 20 lines and set an equal length Constaint between all of the in one click. How long would that take in Pro/e?

In SolidWorks you can use the CTRL key to drag and copy sketch lines arcs or other geometry and Detect Equal Length Radius value in one step using Fully Define Sketch or Search Equal Length Radius option in earlier versions.

Other things that make SW more powerful are the toggle type option currently the A key by default in SW 08 which will toggle through the Arc and rectangle types that it gives you. Pro/E has only one rectangle type.

Topic: sketching constraints

Michael
PS: By the way are you going to SW World?

Call your local SolidWorks resellers. Sometimes they offer free "Intro to SolidWorks" courses. I took advantage of that when I was unemployed. I was already comfortable in SW, but the course helped keep me from getting rusty.

Dbudworth said:
I use to use pro-e wildfire for my previous job, then switch jobs and switched over to SW. I was up to full speed on SW within one week just by going through the tutorials that come with SW. The two systems are very similar. You basically just need to relearn the difference in terminology and the location of all icons.

The important thing to show is you have 3-D modeling expierence.

I couldn't agree with this more. I've been in ProE for about 8 years, and I picked up SW in about a week. I use it daily right now, but miss ProE :( With the ProE experience, SW is a breeze. Just gotta find the buttons :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back