Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

centering part around origin

hellomoto

I often get dumb solid files from people, specifically *.sat files. And often the models were created away from the origin. so when I import the file into solidworks, the parts origin is maintained and the part is floating distance away from the origin. Normally this matter because features can be built on the dumb solid independent of the where the origin is. However, I sometimes would like to work with the part around the origin.

So to keep this short, is it possible to recenter the dumb solid part to the new files origin? Like imported drawings and sketches

thx in advance

Hellomoto,

I place the "dumb" models in an assembly. I align the part to the assembly base origin, top, front, right planes. then I save it off as a part file.

It's a bit of a work around, but this works for me. check it out.
smiley32.gif

Measure the distance between the origin and the WCS of the dump solid in X,Y,and Z and now you cantranslate the dumpsolid in the samevalue in opposite sign using move bodies functionality

This answersmy question, for the most part too.

But how about a sketch ? How do I put the origen where I want it ?

I am used to cadam and autocad, where Iplaced also 2d pictures relative to the origin, so that when you insert a drawing into another, its alrady at the right spot.

I worked withan aeroplane company, with cadam.

Basicly the origin was always at the front of the aeroplane.

Can this be done n solidworks too ?

Firstly I apologize for the delayed response, I was out of town in the last week, This is as same as what we did with dump solid , In sketcher mode solid works has a functionality called move sketch, with this you can translate, rotate a sketch for a specified value.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Note; the icon move sketch will not be usually in the sketcher bar ,you have to drag drop it from customize tool bar

Thanks, that realy helped.

I noticeI am getting better at solidworks.
smiley1.gif

Less problems with making the 2D sketch. (and have it fully defined)

I can now have the origen were I want it.

(I got a new job, and now work with solid works 2007)

Basicly learned the program with a book. Solidworks for dummies.

Sorry you cant place the orgin where ever you want, only thing you have to move the sketch to the orgin if you need. Try constrain the sketch using geometric constrain like parallel ,horizontal where ever possible.Always drag the sketch to check for freedom and arrest them using dimensions.

You can also use autodimension which will sole your problem

in 2007 inside the sketcher mode ,go to pulldow menu Tool\dimension\fullydefined sketch

Thats exactly what I ment. I move the sketch to have the origin were I want it.

Example: draw a rectangel arond the origin. Then add a center line (or two)

Then select the origin and the centerline. Add relation midpoint.
smiley1.gif

Hi Friends!
smiley1.gif

I had the same problem of Hellomoto: change the origin of a part. I used the method of making an assembly in whitch I insert the part and move it to the wanted position. Then I saved the assembly as a part.

However I had a problem... The new part appears as a surface. Originally, the part was an imported body (from an iges file), but now that the new part is a surface I can't do a section of the body and this is a problem for me. I tried to recognize the function with the FeatureWorks utilities, but the operation failed.

I have no hope of changing the origin of the part without incurring in this problem for whitch I can't do a section?

Excuse my bad english...
smiley9.gif

Thanks a lot!

Davide

this drives me crazy about sw. I require more of a snap to tell me visually that i made contact to the default coordinate system.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back