Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

left and right hand in sheet metal

Kirker912

I have been making a lot of parts in sheetmetal and need to make them in both left and right hand. Does anyone have a way to useing two configerations or something to getboth parts in one part file? I was thinking about reversing all of the bends but there doesn't seem to be a good way of doing that either.

Why insist on having both versions in 1 file ?

I'm not on SW (SE and/or ProE) but left hand versions are mirrored parts - and files - of the original. It's the clearest way of having different products that are not mixed up either by geometry or other information that is stored inside the file.

Alex

Solidworks holds multiple configurations in one file and they all update off of one model. So most part numbers are followed by a -001, -002,..etc. or such. This way if I make a change to one part it makes the same change to all of the related parts and all of the drawings for those parts. I have a way to make left and right hand parts in the same drawing now but I feel there is most likely a more proper way to do it.

Have you tried setting up two different configurations, using mirror, then suppressing the mirror in one of the configs ? That way if you change any dims on the left hand, it'll be carried over onto the right hand part

You have to create separate configurations, and suppress the other bend in each. Create the first one, and save the configuration. Create a new configuration, suppress the bend, then create a new bend on the oppsoite edge, and save the new configuration. Make sure the option is set to allow suppression of features in different configurations. Both configurations live in the same file in SolidWorks, but you can select configurations in the drawing to reference each. Yes, you can even do this in different views in the same drawing under onedrawing number.

i usually just build one file, i.e. left, i give bent dimensions and bend line dimensions and a dxf. I number the file 111 112 and specify 111 left, 112 right. the folks making the parts get it right every time.

good luck
smiley32.gif

I think you could do it in a config. by using the same base in each of the config's needed and then adding flanges or breaks where needed. This way your base feature would update and the flanges or other features would follow. Maybe not super efficient but I hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back