Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Deminsions question

ajhagerman

I'm more than new at this so I do aploigize if this is a real basic question. I'm picking up where someone left off so I have a 3D drawing that I need to put into CAD (which I have done) but I cant seem to figure out how to get exact deminsions on the 3D drawing. Please help.

Thanks,

Andy

I wouldnt say it's a tollerance issue. I have a drawing of an antenna and I have exported it to Autocad. Of course when I pick two points on the Cad drawing it will insert the proper dimensions if its on a 1:1 scale....my problem is that I would like to verify what the actual dimensions are from the Solid Works drawing, they have to be there somewhere. Thanks

If you have the drawing complete in solidworks with all the dimensions, here is how i export solidworks drawings into autoCAD.

Save the solidworks drawings as a dwg file. Than open solidworks and in the file type menu make sure you open with dwg. Browse to find the file. Click Open and you should get your drawing imported to solidworks.

If you dimension the drawing in solidwork it should appear in the autocad file. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks for the response guys. After searching around and messing with it more I think I might have it..but unsure. first I turned it to a sketch and then used the "smart dimension" feature. I was able to measure it that way but it still makes since to me that the dimensions have to already be in there somewhere and by selecting an option they should appear. Now, I did find the "auto dimension" feature but was unable to select that but by reading in the help section that kind of sounded like what I was looking for. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. The boss is looking into a class for me so hopefully my struggles wont last that much longer.

Andy

I think your problem is that you aren't realising that there are different files in SolidWorks for the part itself and for a drawing of the part. In AutoCAD the drawing is the only file and the part is in the drawing. Not so in SolidWorks.

After you bring the part into SolidWorks, and save it as a part, then you create another file that is the drawing file, inserting the part. This is where you will provide dimensions for the man in the shop to look at and create the part.

hope this is some help,

Smoky

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back