Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Applying new template to old part

Edo07

Hello all and happy 2007!

I recently changed my part template (part.prtdot) so drawings can be automatically updated to show veriables like part name and number, material, and so on.

I have modelsbased on an olderpart template (the default one that comes with SW) and now I'd like to base them on the new one.

Does anyone know whether this is possible? It would save me a lot of work...

Many thanks in advance,

Edoardo

Hello,

You can do it this way. Open your template -> File -> Save sheet format. Now open your drawing.

Right click -> Properties. There you can found your new sheet format. Chose it. SW automatically changes your sheet format.

Regards

Chris

Edoardo,

I have not found a way to do exactly what you want but you can automate it.

Just create a macro that adds all the information that is in the new startpart,
when you open one that has the old information just run the macro.

That is how we did it in ProE and the only way I have found in SW.

If there is another solution definitely let me know.

Best regards.
Gary

Hristov said:
Hello,

You can do it this way. Open your template -> File -> Save sheet format. Now open your drawing.

Right click -> Properties. There you can found your new sheet format. Chose it. SW automatically changes your sheet format.

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your feedback - this however changes the drawing sheet template, not the part template: I need to base an old part, built on an old part template, onto a newer part template. I already took care of my drawing template. Youridea, however, solved a secondary problem of mine, so thank you anyways!
smiley1.gif

Gary said:
Edoardo,

I have not found a way to do exactly what you want but you can automate it.

Just create a macro that adds all the information that is in the new startpart,
when you open one that has the old information just run the macro.

That is how we did it in ProE and the only way I have found in SW.

If there is another solution definitely let me know.

Best regards.
Gary

Hmm... this didn't work as expected. I followed the steps you recommended, but when the part properties window opened up while the macro was running, it didn't show the new properties I added previously.

This might depend on my inexperience- would you be willing to send me (or post) an example of this macro? I would really appreciate that!

Cheerios,

Edoardo
Edited by: Edo07

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back