Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SolidWorks 2007

wmahaffey

Do any of you have the new version of Solidworks (2007)? I've found that it is painfully slow, and nearly unuseable when you start working with large assemblies. Does anybody know how to speed things up?

I found it ran a lot faster on a new machine with more RAM memory (2.5Gb) and a faster SATAII hard disk drive. Also the graphics adapter can have quite an effect on display performance - a graphics card with 256mb of texture memory frees up the CPU somewhat.

I found another way to speed up its performance if you have a dual-core CPU. I set the processor affinity so Solidworks has exclusive use of one core, and all other apps running on the other core

Make sure you're running in lightweight mode on those big assemblies. If you want more detail, you should suppress the components that aren't relevant to what you're working on at the moment. Every CAD system has this problem, but at least SolidWorks is better about this than some of the others.

SSLaser,

Right click Solid Works in the Task Manager on the Processes Tab and select Set Affinity and then make sure you have One Core checked off for Solid Works and just set Explorer and other major programs to use the other Core by setting their affinity to that one.

You can also use Set Priority but this could cause problems if you choose Realtime or High.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back