Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Beginner question

ScotS

Hello all,

New to Solidworks and CAD in general, new here also. :) I'm attempting to teach myself to draw with books, online tutorials, etc. but have run into a problem that I have yet to figure out.

I am trying to make what is, essentially, a piece of tubing with a slot cut into the side. I've figured out how to cut a hole on the top side or the left/right side, but don't know how to move this cut to an angle.

First, I sketched a circle, then extruded it into a solid rod, then cut a hole in the center, resulting in a tube. From the top (or side view), I've figured out how to sketch a circle (or other shape), then cut through the wall of the tube.

The problem I'm having is I can only place the cut directly on the top or side, but not anywhere in between. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Hope this all makes sense. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

If you want a custom cut on whatever angle you need then the easiest way is to create a custom plane where you can draw your sketch. Your first plane can use the temporary axis of your tubing and the Front or Top plane to reference your angle from......Then put a second plane on the the tubing OD to draw your side cut sketch.
smiley17.gif

Thanks for the info. I understand what you're saying in theory, but don't know how to actually do it. Can you provide more info?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back