Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

external referencing

blah-de-blah

hi,

I have 2 parts put together into an assembly, both parts have been extruded. For one of the parts, I want the extruded thickness to be the same length of a certain line in the second part. I was told this can be done by external referencing, and I've looked in the help file, but they dont say how you do this.

Thanks

Create an "in-context" part, where you create the part you want controlled directly in the assembly, referencing the part you want to drive it.

In the assembly to contain both parts: Insert>Component>New Part. The "save as" dialog box pops up -this is for the new part. Name it and save it. Select the plane in the assembly where you would like to start sketching the new assembly. You can then reference other part's dimensions.

You may need to create a driven dimension of the line in your second part. Then set the driving dimension in your first part equal to it using equations. I preferto use a direct reference, such as"up to point" or"up to surface" inthe feature definition, or "on edge" in the sketch. I find that you sometimes have to do multiple regenerationswhenusing equations.

I hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back