Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bill of Materials

Machinary

Hello,

I like to know how to generate BOM witiin Solidworks. I know there a way to generate the information such as name description part number and so on automatically within solidworks BOM drawing spreedsheet. Because i dont want to enter the information everytime..

I think it has something to do with the propertylinks and custom properties..........

Any asistance is appreciated..

Kind Regards,

Hello,

Your correct it's al about propertylinks and customproperties..

You can learn more about it in the help of solidworks. Go to the online tutorial on the help menu. then select Advanced Drawings .

In Assembly drawing views will be explained how to insert, cutomize and organize a BOM

I always use the customproperties in the part and assembly file and linked them to the drawingsheets.(I did this in the templates) So when I make a drawing of a part the sheet automaticly fills with the informationI want to see there. WhenI make a assembly drawing and choose to insert a BOM (I use exelbasedBOM) also the information is filled automatic.

With kind regards

Joop

Joop,

Thanks for showing me the online tutorial. Can you give me more detail instruction on how to use custom properties for BOM's and why do you use an excell BOM for assembly dwgs.

Have a nice day!

Oke, first the easy one. I use a exelbasedBOM because when i want to export this information to an ERP system it should go easier. I don't do that yet so i don't know if it really works like the told me then. Note: You need Exel on your computer

Using custom properties:

I made a list of customproperties i want to use like description, material, drawnby, drawndate... I insert these properties in the part and assemlbly template so every time i start a part i can fill the properties with the nessesary information.

If you use the standard solidworks discription in the customproperties you can select the right one you want to see in the BOM.(standard). How to is explained in the tutorial.

Use of a exelbasedBOM:

Solidworks has a standard template for an exelbasedBOM. When you want to insert one you have to select a certain view. I always place an isometric view so i select always this view.

When selected this view you can go to the insert menu and choose : Tables => Insert exelbasedBOM. Now you go to a screen where you can set some options. on the next tab you see the BOM. On the last tab you have some controle options. After clicking ok the BOM is inserted in your drawing.

In exel you can change the information you want to see by adding a colum. Solidworks needs colums there already there don't delete them!!!

If you need more information please let me know how long you're working with solidworks so I can get an idea on what level we are talking. (I use SW for 4 years now)

With kind regards

Joop

I 've been using solidworks for 5 months now. I am slowly getting the hang of it. I really appreciate your emails. I will let you know if i have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Hello,

I've had the same problem. I found the following solution:

You can configure the toolbox in diffrent ways. (see toolbox => confige => settings) Because you use the same bolts & nuts often I choose the setting to create parts in a seperate folder. Everytime I use a new configuration I insert my customproperties in the new toolbox parts.

Note:I see that you use a dot in your customer properties. This can create a problem in exel but I'm not sure about that maybe yourVAR can answer that

With regards

Thanks for the answer.

Now, the problem I see working that way is that if you change the geometry of the part (for example, 10 mm longer) you have to change 'by hand' the property, with the risk of forgetting to do so.

I think a much better solution would be that in 'toolbox configuration' we could add a column, called however we like, with the text we want, so that depending on the part configuration, the text is updated automatically.

I have made a proposal in this way to SW through our distributor, perhaps SW 2015 would include it!

Thanks again.

Hello,

When I need an other configuration, for example a bolt M4x10 must be 10mm longer, I first look in my "OwnToolbox" directory if it is already there. If not I choose the toolbox an configurate the wanted bolt. When the bolt is in my assemblyI can add the custom properties. I also can insert some configurations for the materials I use. So I have one file for M4x20 DIN912 with materials. Later when I make an assembly drawing and I use the ExelBom it's filled automaticly.

For me this is a good solution. But I've to mention that we have just one SW seat in our compagny

With regards

Hi

In 2007 is posible to add any properties that you want and also to make fast modification to standard parts for all the dimensions in the library.

If you are interested in much more details you can email me at [email protected]

Nucu

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back