Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WIREFRAME MODEL ALTERING

nitan

I have a 3d wireframe model of a part that I am designing. I would like to move the individual points (with lines attached) to different points either numerically, or by dragging.

Problem is, when I move a point, the lines move, which is want, but sometimes other points or lines move, sometimes a long ways away from where I am working. I have deleted all of the relations but this doesn't work, and also have disabled the external relations.

Is there something that I overlooking, hidden relations that I am not seeing?

I am using Solidworks 2005.

Thanks

check how you have dimensioned the things that are moving that you don't expect to. I bet they are looking at the moving parts.

You could also try selectign al the points except the one you need to move and "fix" them with relations.
Then fix the ones you move and unfix the next point that you need moved.

YOu might be able to drag select all the points "fix" them and just unfix the ones you need to move.

I have seen strange things happen when geometry is not fully defined. SolidWorks only has to find A solution. Any solution. Not necessarily the one that you have in mind. So to make sure you get the solution you want, fully define everything which you don't wish to move. I think in this instance I would do that by defining the 3 coordinates for each point in a design table. It takes a while to set up, but once you have done it, you can then simply suppress the dimension or dimension you want to drag. Or you can change the numbers in the design table. Everything else will stay still

Good luck

Paul Z

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back