Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

mirror

timgeurtjens

Hi, I'm trying to delete the original body of which I made a mirror object, but it seems that th 2 are somehow related or locked. Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

Thanx

The mirrored part is a child feature of the original.I don't believe there is a way to seperate the two as is. If you wanted to keep one without the otherprobably the simplist solution would be to create each feature seperately.

Perhaps someone else on this forum knows a way to disolve a parent child relationship of this type, but I don't thinkone exists.

I'm at home and don't have SolidWorks here, but I'm wondering if you could change the original to construction lines and leave the mirror as regular lines.

I hope you find something that works.

Audra

I do not beleive that you can get rid of the original object that you mirrored. I know that on Pro-E some parent/child relationships can be undone. Maybe you can do something like that in Soliworks, I am not sure. Maybe you could ask te forum if parent/child realtionships can be undone. I would be interested in knowing this myself. If you are planning on using the child in assembly and it works, just keep the parent on file so that so the mirrored version has something to reference from.

Insert/Pattern Mirror/Mirror and then select mirror bodies. Then you select all the bodies you need to mirror (it is easier to select from the design tree). Now you have the original bodies and the mirrored bodies. After this you have to open Solid Bodies folder, select the original bodies and press delete on the keyboard. This should do the work. :)

Audra said:
I'm at home and don't have SolidWorks here, but I'm wondering if you could change the original to construction lines and leave the mirror as regular lines.

I hope you find something that works.

Audra

I tried this at work this morning, and it worked! :)

Audra

Another quick and dirty way to do this is to open up the "left-handed" part and export it as an IGES or STEP file. Then open up the exported file and run FeatureWorks if you want to, or just ignore the feature recognition and use as-is. This will break any links. As I have said to others around here before, if the parts are left and right hand, then they're actually two totally different parts. In the real world, there is no link between parts - all of this mirroring and "RH,LH" notations are just for our convenience - not the people who actually build them.

andrasITC said:
Insert/Pattern Mirror/Mirror and then select mirror bodies. Then you select all the bodies you need to mirror (it is easier to select from the design tree). Now you have the original bodies and the mirrored bodies. After this you have to open Solid Bodies folder, select the original bodies and press delete on the keyboard. This should do the work. :)

I had the same question about delete mirror parent bodies....the solution above works like a charm, quick and easy.

Thanks,

JohnnyB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back