Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Partial" Bend?

Devil_H@ck

Recently, I've been trying to model a folding knife in SolidWorks. However, I'm stuck at the part where I have to bend only a certain part of my part.

You can see what I mean in the attached image: the red part needs to be bend about 10 degrees. There's a cut in the part along the circumference of the red part except at the right end, which is the bend axis.

Everything I tried does either nothing or bends the whole part starting at the bend axis & going all the way to the left. I can't seem to find a way to make it clear to SolidWorks that I only want the red part to bend, which should be possible, because it's only attached to the rest of the part at the bend axis, because of the slot cut into it.

Note that I can't split this up in 2 parts and make an assembly, well, I could, but I want to do stress tests around the bend axis area and that won't be possible then.

Also, I'm wondering wether SW will "push back" the bended metal (it's titanium) if I align another piece of metal (the blade) to the handle (the image you see is the left handle). This is what happens in real life, but I'm not sure if SW supports this.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Anthony

knife-handle-bend.gif

Edited by: Devil_H@ck

Assuming the part is modeled as sheet metal, if there is bend relief on either side of that red-shaded area, you should be able to male a "sketched bend" feature. It looks like you may only have relief on the jogged side of the bend.

Alternately, you could make a sketch of the bend profile and extrude it. Looks like you'd need to create a reference surface for that. Let me know if that helps!
Adam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back