Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Open part in new window file references

skateboardkid

I make furniture, right now i'm doing it the hard way, tons of copying and pasting to create the individual part files, all so I can do an assembly of the finished product.

If I model the chair as a solid piece and uncheck merge bodies, each new feature shows up in the solid bodies folder as a seperate solid body. I can then open just the single part in a new window by right clicking- it even gives me a dialog box to rename the part and save it under a more descriptive name.

questions

1. Can I then assemble these parts?

2. Are these parts still referencing the (solid body) that was once made up of the individual pieces?

3. If I need to make changes should I make them to the individual parts or make the design changes to the original (solid bodies) part.

It will probably save me several days of work if I can model the chair all at once and then separate the solid bodies into their respective parts. I cant find enough info on skeletons and blocks to really understand how to set them up, plus the complex lofts I am using dint really have many linear edges, and oftenI cantextrude-cut the opposite profile of a complex loft, (so a seat meets the curve of the back of a chair).
Edited by: skateboardkid

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back