Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW forum: help needed, but no reply...

Edo07

Hi all,

I will start right away with an apology, asmy intention is not to offend anyone (I know written words can be easily misunderstood), but I can't understand why posts in the SW forum receive so many less replies than those in the ProE forum. I am truly impressed by the disporportion between the number of views and replies to a single post and I can't understand the cause.

When people open anew topic, it's usually toask forhelp or suggestions.I don't believe SW people know less or (even worse) don't want to share their knowledge, so why (apparently) so little attention? Everyone reads, no one replies... Please enlighten me!

Many thanks to everyone and especially the Administrators of this website, who are doing an excellent job keeping this great community alive (in spite of my ranting!
smiley2.gif
)

Edoardo

One of the reasons that you may not see as many reply's to this forum is that this site was created as a pro/E site first and the admin guydecided that he was going to share this to everyone else in the CAD community. So not as many SW, UG, Catia and other non-pro/e CAD users frequent this site (their loss).

Steve

And the high number of views are in fact people coming from the Pro/E
side of the board who are curious like me to see whats up over on this
side of the watering hole. I did a bunch of the barbie
flashlights in solidworks and a few other projects in the past and I
leark to see if I can perhaps answer one of the questions.

I've used SolidWorks for six years and Pro/E for about four years. SolidWorks is a lot easier to use: people ask fewer questions on forums like this, because the Help function in SolidWorks is great. In Pro/E, it sucks. Thus, Pro/E users are forced to seek help from the outside world. I have noticed that the Pro/E support group appears to be monitoring the Pro/E message board here at MCADCentral in repsonse to this situation. The fundamental underlying issue behind your observation is actually a good sign: SolidWorks is a more user-friendly product than Pro/E, so fewer users are screaming for help.

Some Pro/E useres will claim that Pro/E's higher-level functionality is the reason for it's lack of user-friendliness, but this is a hollow argument: simple functions should be easy to learn and use. It isn't thefunctionality of Pro/E that makes it hard to learn and use: it's the lack of attention to fundamentals and inflexibility in the user interface, and the patched-up nature of the package.

there are other SW forums which get A LOT more traffic. I'm not going to post the link outright because it would be disrespectful to this site but if you want it, send me a private message and i'll forward it to you.

I understand your frustration.

Another thing is that the original posters of the thread never come back to update whether they fixed it or not. And thatdoesnt help the community either as someone may do a search for that topic and then find it with 0 replies and 226 views.

Remember Bloodwig80, just because you read something doesn't mean you know the answer. I come here not as often as I did in the past mainly because of the SW discussion forum has, like you said, more traffic and I know that I don't answer a 10th of what I read.

Steve

Edoardo,

I responded to your linked post and am 99.9% sure that the option you asked for doesn't exist but gave some suggestions for getting what you want more easily.

This site was launched from a proE site and that is why it is a madhouse of user-ship on the other side of the fence. If you want to see a dead area of the site check the UG forums which has very slow movement.
(much like the software) hehe
smiley36.gif

Lastly I believe that every time you check your post for responses it tacks on another viewing to number of views. Also many people are interested in certain topics but once they read them realize they don't have a frame of reference or are out hunting for an answer.

If your questions do get answered in other forums please post links here, I've seen it done before and it's nice when one post can be used as an answer on multiple forums.

Michael

UPDATE: Use the following link to prevent higher number of views for posts
http://www.mcadcentral.com/feeds/rss.asp?sw

This
link is the RSS Feed for this forum which will list the latest posts
over a recent time period sorted by posting time on this site and some
of the text to give you an idea of updates to posts without having to
get emailed.

The first time you go to the page it will show you
the page and a Subscribe to Feeds option which will then show your link
as a Bookmark folder and expand to show the post topics as links. If
you don't subscribe it will display it as a single page.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back